after obtaining the citizenship

andone

Registered Users (C)
i read on a post here that "it is not recommended to leave the U.S. the next day after u become a naturalized US citizen".

this sounds odd to me: can the officer stop u at the airport or wherever , if he sees that u are leaving the U.S. the next day (or couple of weeks) after u obtain your U.S. citizenship?

andone said:
i read on a post here that "it is not recommended to leave the U.S. the next day after u become a naturalized US citizen".

this sounds odd to me: can the officer stop u at the airport or wherever , if he sees that u are leaving the U.S. the next day (or couple of weeks) after u obtain your U.S. citizenship?
No, andone, ofcourse they can't take back the citizenship just cuz you left too soon!! The point is that the USCIS takes back your green card at the oath ceremony, and while you don't have the US passport right then, think about it for a minute. You will end up without green card nor passport to enter the country when you leave. Yes, the certificate of naturalization should be enough of a proof to enter the United State, but carrying it around will be much of a hassle and if you lose it, it could take more than a year , in some district offices, to replace it. That's all.
But you can travel and you will be admitted back to America, after all, it's your country! right?!!

my view is that you "cannot" travel without the passport. there might be some exceptions to countries like Canada/mexico, but the Passport is the official document that is internationally recognised (not the citizenship certificate).

You need a passport to travel. Most countries would not admit you unless you have a passport, even if that passport is from your original country, you have to have one. The citizenship Certicate can get you back in the country, but it might be an unnecessary hassle. If you need to travel the next day, there are passport agencies that will get you a passport within a day. You only have to show them your itinerary. Check you area for such agencies.

You can leave the country whenever you want and come back whenever you want. You might be questioned if you travel frequently to places with known terror ties, but if your travels are legitimate then you should be fine.

Cheers,

Newly