After i-140 approval, i-824 Filed...Now what ??

JawadAlam

Registered Users (C)
Hi CP gurus got some questions ... and need some clarifications

1. My I-140 was approved in April 2003

2. Since I came back to my home country for work purpose and expect to live here long, I opted for CP.

3. My I-824 was filed in May 2003 at Nebraska Service Center. The system says it takes 345-365 days to process.

My questions are

1. Does it take THAT long to process I-824 ?

2. What are the future steps after the I-824 approval ?

3. When should be my approximate interview dates ?

4. What is Packet 3 and 4 ? (I have no idea on that)

5. And after the interview how long does it take to get the actual "Green Card" ?

Please Help !!

Thanks.

1. Does it take THAT long to process I-824 ?

At Nebraska, it is taking that long!

After I 140 approval, INS forwards your case to NVC, where you will get an invoice for the visa fee and after receipt of the fee, the NVC will mail you packet 3. Once you complete that, NVC reviews your case and sends it to your home consulate.

3. When should be my approximate interview dates ?

After the Consulate receives the completed packet 3, you will be scheduled for an interview- approximately 2 months after receipt of the papers.

4. What is Packet 3 and 4 ? (I have no idea on that)

Packet3 is your biographic data- requested by NVC. Packet 4 is an extension of that sent out by the consulate.

5. And after the interview how long does it take to get the actual "Green Card" ?

Within 4 weeks after you enter US with your immigrant visa.

P.S. If your home consulate accepts AC140, you may be able to cut short the time to get an interview. Browse the forum- you will find all the info here!

After I 140 approval, INS forwards your case to NVC, where you will get an invoice for the visa fee and after receipt of the fee, the NVC will mail you packet 3. Once you complete that, NVC reviews your case and sends it to your home consulate.

Is it I 140 or I 824 ????

Both!

If you had indicated CP on your I140 petition, this is the procedure. If you had opted for AOS, and file for I824, your I140 approval will be forwarded to NVC after the I824 is approved.