After Green Card: Asylum U.S Citizenship Questions

clotty

Registered Users (C)
After Green Card: Ex-Asylees applying for Citizenship

After you get your green card and as you get closer to sending citizenship application , which forum will you guys hang out at? this or citizenship forum? There are so many applicants in the citizenship forum who got their green cards through other sources, so it is hard over there to tell who had an asylee background and who didn't. And those who came from being asylees may benefit from corresponding with others in similar situation because we may have certain questions asked to us that somebody who got their green card through, say, marriage won't be asked, so I was wondering which forum you guys will post at. This is such an early question as I have not even received my green card yet. Was just curious.

Last edited by a moderator:
clotty said:
After you get your green card and as you get closer to sending citizenship application , which forum will you guys hang out at? this or citizenship forum? There are so many applicants in the citizenship forum who got their green cards through other sources, so it is hard over there to tell who had an asylee background and who didn't. And those who came from being asylees may benefit from corresponding with others in similar situation because we may have certain questions asked to us that somebody who got their green card through, say, marriage won't be asked, so I was wondering which forum you guys will post at. This is such an early question as I have not even received my green card yet. Was just curious.

I thought about that too... maybe we can do a special requets to the webmaster and add one more section "Asylee-Citizenship" or something like that.... I am positive that it will be a lot of postings... and we will be able to help each other out in any concern that we may have at that point...

ccordova624 said:
I thought about that too... maybe we can do a special requets to the webmaster and add one more section "Asylee-Citizenship" or something like that.... I am positive that it will be a lot of postings... and we will be able to help each other out in any concern that we may have at that point...
That is a good idea. And yeah, I am sure there will be lots of threads and questions, etc. So it won't be a dead section.

i think citizenship is just citizenship, nothing distingish citizenship processes of asylum greencard holders and other greencard holders

kelvin2088 said:
i think citizenship is just citizenship, nothing distingish citizenship processes of asylum greencard holders and other greencard holders
During the citizenship interview a person who got their green card through marriage may be asked certain additional questions and may be asked to provide certain additional documents and the asylees will be asked certain other questions and documents. Sure, there will be basic things like the N400 form and the basic questions and the basic docs to provide that ALL applicants need to prepare. But I think we may have questions during that period that other citizenship applicants may not answer. Like the question of "what happens if you renewed your NP or went to your COP and you are asked about it during the citizenship interview" topic has been discussed forever on this forum and it really mostly pertains to the citizenship interview, and I would like to hear ex-asylees talk about how their citizenship interview went ; and especially if they went to their COP for whatever reason how it was handled and received during the interview; that is one thing that is still a gray area, and although we heard some comments from lawyers and some posters gave well-articulated opinions, it still remains a bit of a question mark on how it will go down during the interview. And I am sure many of us would like to read about the interview experiences of fellow ex-asylees when the time comes near.

So you guys will go to the citizenship forum then? Is that where I can find you guys 4 years later?

clotty said:
So you guys will go to the citizenship forum then? Is that where I can find you guys 4 years later?
Dear Clotty,
I will always be here for you :p (smile) I think you have valid points, but I think we are so far away from citizenship process that people have not thought far about it! There are some people who had been approved a long time ago and they still come back here, so hopefully we can do the same :)

MGTgrl said:
Dear Clotty,
I will always be here for you :p (smile)
hah ha, aww, thank you . :D Yeah, it is a waaaaay early question for me to ask. I mean I am not even approved yet, ha.

hey clotty,,,sounds like ppl got approved will stop visiting this forum ;)

clotty said:

If the webmaster cannot create a new forum for asylum citizenship, we can create a sticky thread in this forum. This thread may not be much active right now, but it will be in a couple of years since more and more ppl are getting approved this year.
First of all, this forum has become part of our life for many brothers and sisters here. It is benefitary for both who got GC and who are still waiting if those who got GC continue visiting this forum to discuss their experience in citizenship, while helping those who are still waiting. I think there are a lot of special issues in asylum Citizenship situation we can share. I visited the citizenship forum and I felt if I had a question, it is uncomfortable for me to ask since most people over there have different situations.

I totally agree with having a thread for Citizenship with Asylum based GCs. After GC approval I checked thread that is only for GC holders, and all matters that involved asylum based issues were directed to this thread. So I think it makes sense to create one as a sticky or a separate one.

All right then. So to ask for a sticky or a seperate section, we need to contact the admin I guess. Who is the admin? Or maybe a mod like want can make a sticky, if not a seperate section.

clotty said:
All right then. So to ask for a sticky or a seperate section, we need to contact the admin I guess. Who is the admin? Or maybe a mod like want can make a sticky, if not a seperate section.

Done. Sticky created.

wantmygcnow said:
Done. Sticky created.
Cool, thanks. Hopefully those who are close to their citizenship application will come to this section and see this thread and use it to communicate their experiences or questions and so on.

Yeah, I agree that we need a threads where ex-asylee can share their experienced

Yeah, I agree that we need a threads where ex-asylee can share their experienced. coz I wanna know whether the interviewer gonna ask the same question like the one when we got our asylum interview. And yes, my case is not approved yet also and it's going to take me 4 years to get my citizenship :p .. but yeah .. coz' I kinda confuse when I enter the "citizenship" threads, they have different background. some are greencard lottery. through marriage. from H1. etc etc. while we are from asylum background. thx to bring up that idea. and goodluck to all of us :)