After GC

aos_query001

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I received my green card (EB2) a couple of months ago. I have the following questions -

1. Do I need to carry my green card with me for travel within US?
2. Do I need to register for selective service (@ sss.gov). I am 27 yrs old.

Thanks much in advance!

Do we have to carry it all the time or when going out of town?

Some one told me that we have to carry it all the time buy why when someone is on H1B, he does not carry the passport/visa all the time then why to carry GC all the time(if it is to be carried)?

when I am in town, I am not carrying it. Is it risky not to carry it? I am afraid that if It is hard earned and if I lose it, it will be difficult to get the duplicate one.

thanks

p_card said:
Do we have to carry it all the time or when going out of town?

Some one told me that we have to carry it all the time buy why when someone is on H1B, he does not carry the passport/visa all the time then why to carry GC all the time(if it is to be carried)?

when I am in town, I am not carrying it. Is it risky not to carry it? I am afraid that if It is hard earned and if I lose it, it will be difficult to get the duplicate one.

thanks

A person on H1B is requiored to carry the docuemnt too such as I-94.

The complication is far greater fort a nonimmigrant to lose his documents than
for a permanent resident to lose his documents.

Thanks AmericanWannabe
But I have not seen anyone carrying I-94 also. Rather I was also not knowing that it need to be carried.

thanks

AmericanWannabe said:
A person on H1B is requiored to carry the docuemnt too such as I-94.

The complication is far greater fort a nonimmigrant to lose his documents than
for a permanent resident to lose his documents.

AW, can you please post INS/CIS links for above statements?? I know there are old threads(may I say mega threads :D :D ), but if you have them handy, post it.

qwertyisback said:
Thats what majority members does. Check some old thread, there was poll on this one.

I guess as long as you carry a photo copy and you will be able to show your original GC (at a later time) when a law enforcement/immigration official asks you, then you are fine.

Please don't ask me where i found this. This is just my guess and I am following this.