After GC -- how long..how does it work

Gwen

Registered Users (C)
Can anyone tell me how long after the interview (green card) in Montreal will familiy members be allowed to gain employment. We are on H4, applicant is my husband. I have 2 teens and myself who are anxious to work. Our interview should be May at this point as we have finally submitted ALL the necessary documents last week -- most of the review is done according to the NVC operator. THey were just waiting on the Divorce decree. (prior marriage).

So, how does it work after we cross back over (assuming a successful interview)

Originally posted by Gwen
Can anyone tell me how long after the interview (green card) in Montreal will familiy members be allowed to gain employment. We are on H4, applicant is my husband. I have 2 teens and myself who are anxious to work. Our interview should be May at this point as we have finally submitted ALL the necessary documents last week -- most of the review is done according to the NVC operator. THey were just waiting on the Divorce decree. (prior marriage).

So, how does it work after we cross back over (assuming a successful interview)

If you are successful in getting immigrant visa, you become permanent residents the day you enter US. Your passports will be stamped with temporary evidence of LPR status and you can work from day 1.

Re: yah but...

Originally posted by Gwen
what about a SSN? Don't you need one to gain employment?

You do not need SSN upfront to obtain a job. You should apply for SSN and you have 3 months to obtain it and report it to your employer.

what about

SO, after the review is complete -- how long is an average time before you get an interview? Assuming my review is done by March 30th -- when would I expect to go to Montreal?

date

if the review was done on Mar 30th you'd make the April 20 cut off date to get the visa number from State or the consulate - not sure which one it is.

I'd suspect your date would be early - mid June. If you are lucky late May.

Good Luck.

Thanks

That is what I thought too -- I am not counting on it - -since we sent in our Packet 3 Oct 30 and are still in this process but I do hope it is May.

Done

The review was done March 20th -- so, how does that work for cutoff dates? I know it takes the NVC time to send it to consulate. If it is in the hands of the consulate before April 20th does that mean a May interview or June. HOw does the timing work out?

Canada process timeline might be different

Gwen,

Most of the info/experience on CP forum is in regards to candidates applying for CP in India. And my answer to your question is based on the such knowledge and experience. The process in US consulate in Canada might be a slightly different.

After the P3 review is complete, it take about 5 to 10 working days for the packet 3 info to be sent to US consulate in the individual's home country. It takes another 4 to 8 working days for the packet to reach the US consulate. After the packet 3 is delivered at the US consulate, it takes about another 4 to 8 working days for the info about the individual's case to be entered into the US Consualte computer system. If the date of the entry of the info is before the 20 of the month, the interview is usually scheduled with next 60 to 120 days.

If your case was sent on March 20 to the US consulate, I guess you might get an interview in June/July timeframe. One more time, this process at the US consulate in Canada might be faster and you may get an earlier interview date also.

Thanks & Good Luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks

Thanks. Yes, there isn't that much about the Montreal Consulate -- small threads, but it appears my interview will probably be June so I am counting on that possibility. Irregardless, it will be whenever they set the date -- we all know about being vulnerable to forces beyond our immediate control.

cpDelhi Thx for that insight. My review was completed on 4/3 and sent to Mumbai Consulate on 4/10. You think I will make the 4/20 cut-off date and qualify for June interview if everything goes well.

Thx for the help