After 6 Yrs of H1B, which is better EAD or H1B extension?

It's probably old thread I am reviving but I am struggling with similar issue.
In my case, issue has been forced due to possible denial of my H1 extension.
I am struggling to decide whether it is worth it to change employer and file another H1b in next 1 week (Before my I94 expires) and go thro' that expense to keep H1 alive
Is it even useful?
I came across this ayetes Memo from 2005 where it is written IN VERY STRAIGHT WORDS..

Question 3 on Page 6.

Question 3. Are there cases where an alien, who has been granted an H-1B extension beyond the 6th year, will nonetheless only be allowed to remain for the 6-year maximum period of stay?

Answer: Yes. As addressed in the April 24, 2003 guidance memorandum, USCIS is required to grant the extension of stay request made under section 106(a) of AC21, in one-year increments, until such time as a final decision has been made to:
A. Deny the application for labor certification, or, if the labor certification is approved, to deny the EB immigrant petition that was filed pursuant to the approved labor certification;
B. Deny the EB immigrant petition, or
C. Grant or deny the alien’s application for an immigrant visa or for adjustment of status.

If at any time before or after the filing of the single (combined) extension request a final decision is made on the above-stated grounds, the beneficiary of the extension request will not be entitled to an extension beyond the time remaining on his or her 6-year maximum stay unless another basis for exceeding the maximum applies.

Does it not mean.. Basically if you completed 6 yrs and 485 gets denied for any reason, you have to leave.. ?

If an individual has only a year (or less) remaining on H-1B, then there is no point in sticking to H-1B. If something goes wrong with I-485, no further H-1B extension would be available anyway. The time remaining on the H-1B won't be sufficient to start another GC thread.