• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of support

Well. I can get 20K from my parents. They also have been financing my education so far.

(consider it as a very long-term loan that I get from my parents and payback after graduation)

do you think this would be a problem since I didn't make this money by myself?

Last edited by a moderator:
This AOS is a big issue.am married without kids.if i have about 10K in USd be enough for both us?i have tried but cant get anyone in US who is a permanent resident.
advice pliz

This AOS is a big issue.am married without kids.if i have about 10K in USd be enough for both us?i have tried but cant get anyone in US who is a permanent resident.
advice pliz
Just like you, I am having headaches with the affidavit od support issue. I am married and we have a 3 year old girl. I can show that I have at least $22k in readily available cash, but am still not sure if they will accept it. To make matters worse, I have send an inquiry to the US embassy, but they haven't responded...and I doubt it if they will ever respond.

Well. I can get 20K from my parents. They also have been financing my education so far.

(consider it as a very long-term loan that I get from my parents and payback after graduation)

do you think this would be a problem since I didn't make this money by myself?

It might be. This money if you present it as a loan from your family amounts to a debt. Maybe if you accompany your application with a letter from your parents saying that you are not required to repay it for X amount of years then you may be ok. I am not sure though. I am sure some one else will have a better idea.

Just like you, I am having headaches with the affidavit od support issue. I am married and we have a 3 year old girl. I can show that I have at least $22k in readily available cash, but am still not sure if they will accept it. To make matters worse, I have send an inquiry to the US embassy, but they haven't responded...and I doubt it if they will ever respond.
If you compare your $22k to the poverty guidelines (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html) you can see that you should be ok. I doubt that you will get a reply from the embassy because there are no strict rules about what is considered to be enough, as it also depends on your education/experience (someone who doesn't have enough money but is likely to find a well paid job fast, can still get the visa).

If you compare your $22k to the poverty guidelines (http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html) you can see that you should be ok. I doubt that you will get a reply from the embassy because there are no strict rules about what is considered to be enough, as it also depends on your education/experience (someone who doesn't have enough money but is likely to find a well paid job fast, can still get the visa).

This is true. I have about (€5500) $9000 in savings and I asked would that be enough, as it is below the poverty level amount for a single person. The lady at the embassy said
"yes that should be fine, your a graduate aren’t you?"
I was taken back by this as it seemed to be the only thing she actually knew about me! I know it is still possible to get the GC with just high school certificate but the way she was talking led me to believe that they must profile each applicant. I am going to bring along a copy of my pay cheque to show that I will have access to the full $11,000 very shortly after the interview. I reckon it should be fine. I am not planning on going till September anyway.

This is true. I have about (€5500) $9000 in savings and I asked would that be enough, as it is below the poverty level amount for a single person. The lady at the embassy said
"yes that should be fine, your a graduate aren’t you?"
I was taken back by this as it seemed to be the only thing she actually knew about me! I know it is still possible to get the GC with just high school certificate but the way she was talking led me to believe that they must profile each applicant. I am going to bring along a copy of my pay cheque to show that I will have access to the full $11,000 very shortly after the interview. I reckon it should be fine. I am not planning on going till September anyway.
That's encouraging. Now, suppose they conclude that this is not enough money, do they give you a chance to prove more support or they simply reject you and that is the end of the story.

It might be. This money if you present it as a loan from your family amounts to a debt. Maybe if you accompany your application with a letter from your parents saying that you are not required to repay it for X amount of years then you may be ok. I am not sure though. I am sure some one else will have a better idea.

thanks mate. In fact, I don't have to pay anything back to my parents. So this amount will be in my bank account in the US and it will be mine 100%. And I'm a grad student as well.

just showing the money I didn't earn as an evidence of financial support bugs me.

If they think that you don't have enough money and need an affidavit or a job offer, they will tell you that they will not give you the visa until you can show proof for that but you will not be denied right away. However, if you have your interview late in the fiscal year, it's advisable to have everything ready at the interview.

sure this AOS is agreat head ache.ihave about 6K in USD in ma account.I will be getting a gratuity from where am working for about 10k USD by april but ma interview might b in Nov or Dec.Will this affect ma chances if by the time i go for the interview i dont have enough moneys.am married but with no kids.
Wishing all the best to everyone.Cheerz

If you are already in the US you may just have to show them your pay slip or some evidence of your income.

Hi am not in US but in Africa.what is the way forward for me in dont know any PR or citizen in US.Ur advice is highly appreciated.

still need joint sponsor and mandatory admin process

Hello

I am DV-2008 winner , I done the interview on 2nd of July-2008 , I provide the following affidavit support :

-Form i-134 signed by some one in USA (then he re cancel it after 5 days of the interview )
-Also I provide on same the interiviow day form i-134 ,I support my self ($23K cash statement and $125K real state)
-Job offer in VA-USA $50K/Year
-I am BA degree and 12 years experience

After my friend rollback his Affidavit of support , I contact the embassy by e-mail about my setuation they answer “Still need Joint Sponsor and mandatory admin process
Question1 : what shall I do if I cant find any joint sponsor in USA? i already provided joboffer and self support?
Quastion2: can I bring another one to sponsor me from Jordan ?
Quastion3: is there did time and date to get the DV-Visa “cuse I am afraid to lost this chance ”?

Thanks for everyone , rely it's amazing to share all experiance

You have $23K in cash, $125 real estate and the wanna have a sponsor? :confused:

Quastion2: can I bring another one to sponsor me from Jordan ?
No.

Quastion3: is there did time and date to get the DV-Visa “cuse I am afraid to lost this chance ”?
If you dont have the visa Sept. 30 you wont get it

Last edited by a moderator:
thx for your reply ,so have i send email as a reminder that i already sponsor my self with $23k cash and $125k assets?
what about the low is it legaly to sponsor my self ?
or i have to find a lawyer for help?

thx

Lottery winners don't need a sponsor (unlike family-based immigration) if they have enough funds (if you check out the poverty guidelines you will see that you don't need to worry: http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html)
I don't have enough funds in my bank to cover the min poverty guidelines, but I am fulltime worker earning 50K a year, can get letters from work and tax returns to show that...do you think I still need to muster up some money in my account or need a sponsor?