• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of support

nati332001

Registered Users (C)
Thank you everyone for your willingness to help others,especially the ones who are already now in the US and who passed those experiences by gaining valuable information from this forum.Guys since I am new to this forum and awaiting interview soon,please allow me to ask you some questions regarding affidavit of support and educational issues.
1.How much money should my sponsor hav in his possesion to eligible to fill an affidavit of support on my behalf ?
2.Can the Eritrean(my country) secondary certificate examination admission card and my current second year University transcrip be an evidence of 12 grade complete ?Which one of them should I handover during my interview ? Please advise me.

Thank you for your time

1.How much money should my sponsor hav in his possesion to eligible to fill an affidavit of support on my behalf ?

There is really no set amount. However, some considerations should be in play when you select a person who will file affidavit for you:
a-individual must be LPR (greencard holder) or USC (citizen);
b-individual must have full time job producing enough income and proof of past years of timely tax returns (public dpeendant individuals might not qualify... I guess);
c-individual might be asked to submit proof of assets (bank accounts, etc.)

There is really no set amount. However, some considerations should be in play when you select a person who will file affidavit for you:
a-individual must be LPR (greencard holder) or USC (citizen);
b-individual must have full time job producing enough income and proof of past years of timely tax returns (public dpeendant individuals might not qualify... I guess);
c-individual might be asked to submit proof of assets (bank accounts, etc.)

http://www.travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_1327.html

When processing immigrant visa cases subject to the Affidavit of Support (I-864) requirement under INA 212(a)(4)(C), posts must use the figures in the column on the right (125% of poverty guidelines) as the minimum income that a petitioner and/or a joint sponsor must demonstrate, or the column on the left (100%) for an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces sponsoring his orher spouse or children.

2008 Poverty Guidelines

For Immigrant Affidavit of Support
On January 23, 2008, the Department of Health and Human Services, published its annual update of the Poverty Guidelines, taking into account increases in prices as measured by the Consumer Price Index. On March 1, posts must begin using these new guidelines in calculating levels of income and assets that immigrant visa petitioners and joint sponsors must demonstrate in the I-864 Affidavits of Support. In cases in which the sponsor has filed the Form I-864 prior to March 1, 2008, posts should use the guidelines that were in effect at the time of submission.

The following are the 2008 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia:

Size of Family Unit Poverty Guidelines 125 Percent

1 $10,400 $13,000

2 $14,000 $17,500

3 $17,600 $22,000

4 $22,200 $26,500

5 $24,800 $31,000

6 $28,400 $35,500

7 $32,000 $40,000

8 $35,600 $44,500

For family units with more than 8 members, add $3,600 for each additional member to meet the poverty guideline; $4,500 to meet 125% of the poverty guideline.

Last edited by a moderator:

When processing immigrant visa cases subject to the Affidavit of Support (I-864) requirement under INA 212(a)(4)(C), posts must use the figures in the column on the right (125% of poverty guidelines) as the minimum income that a petitioner and/or a joint sponsor must demonstrate, or the column on the left (100%) for an active member of the U.S. Armed Forces sponsoring his orher spouse or children.

2008 Poverty Guidelines

On January 23, 2008, the Department of Health and Human Services, published its annual update of the Poverty Guidelines, taking into account increases in prices as measured by the Consumer Price Index. On March 1, posts must begin using these new guidelines in calculating levels of income and assets that immigrant visa petitioners and joint sponsors must demonstrate in the I-864 Affidavits of Support. In cases in which the sponsor has filed the Form I-864 prior to March 1, 2008, posts should use the guidelines that were in effect at the time of submission.

The following are the 2008 Poverty Guidelines for the 48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia:

1 $10,400 $13,000

2 $14,000 $17,500

3 $17,600 $22,000

4 $22,200 $26,500

5 $24,800 $31,000

6 $28,400 $35,500

7 $32,000 $40,000

8 $35,600 $44,500

For family units with more than 8 members, add $3,600 for each additional member to meet the poverty guideline; $4,500 to meet 125% of the poverty guideline.

Thanks for your info.
I guess when you deal with government there is always some limit.

Sponsor is Canada

My sponsor is Canadian. I noted that on the sponsorship form it says that an external sponsor can provide the affidavit of support? Is there any problem with this. I don't know anyone in the US at the moment.

Form I-134 only lists US citizens or LPRs (green-card holders) under item #1.
I do not believe Canadian might be qualified although you might want to check with US based immigration attorney.

I-864 is for family immigration. I-134 is for DV immigration, and yes, it does have specific income requirements: they are listed in I-864P under 100% of poverty line, whereas I-864 uses 125% of poverty line.

You cannot have a Canadian sponsor for I-134, because the US govt will not be able to enforce it - they can't make a Canadian pay for the obligations he made.

I-864 is for family immigration. I-134 is for DV immigration, and yes, it does have specific amounts of money a sponsor has to show: they are listed in I-864P under 100% of poverty line, whereas I-864 uses 125% of poverty line.

You cannot have a Canadian sponsor for I-134, because the US govt will not be able to enforce it - they can't make a Canadian pay for the obligations he made.

Excellent point. There is a difference between I-134 and I-864.
I-134 seems to be a lot easier and less burdensome than I-864.
I-134 is for DV applicants and other visa applicants only.

Since we, as a family of four, do not know anybody in the US to get affidavit of support from, would it affect our chance if we just show a bank deposit which is slightly above the 125% limit?

2008 Poverty Guidelines

1 $10,400 $13,000

2 $14,000 $17,500

3 $17,600 $22,000

4 $22,200 $26,500

5 $24,800 $31,000

6 $28,400 $35,500

7 $32,000 $40,000

8 $35,600 $44,500

Thank you so much for this outstanding information about my request on the Affidavit of support.It was my first question.I have learned that the question in regard to educational requirements have been noticed by all of you but no one is suggesting.Please suggest me on that.The question was

Options

What options do I have then if I don't know anyone in the US who can provide me with an affidavit? Can I show them a money order for $17 000 (for a family of 3)?

Can the Eritrean(my country) secondary certificate examination admission card
do you have just an admission card, or do you actually have a diploma or a certificate of secondary education?

Quick question;
If there is no sponsor or employment, will a bank statement with 20,000 bucks do for a single student on F-1?

Thanks in advance.

do you have just an admission card, or do you actually have a diploma or a certificate of secondary education?

Thanks Lucy for your prompt responce.
Let me explain the circumstances that is holding me to say admission card.You see,in my country,we don't have such diploma or certificate of secondary education.What we have is a yearly leaving secondary school certificate.For example,I have all grade 8 to 11th grade certificates and since the education system introduced 12th grade(we used to finish highschool at 11 grade) and I was among the 2nd batch to go to the 12th grade,the only thing we are given at that level is the admission card after succesfully completing the 12th grade and when we sat for state examination,which is we call it matriculation.Eritrean secondary certificate examination.This is what I have now in my hand.The other issue is that even if I try to inquire about it,I won't be having a chance to get it because my status in the current country I am living is refugee.I don't want to go back home.I have the official statement under the UNHCR protection.This was the reason.Please advise

Hi,
I have a very close relative whose annual income is about 55K. He started working just last month and hasn't got any assets or money in his bank account as he used most of his money for relocation. Can he be my sponsor? He is a LPR through DV.

Thanks Lucy for your prompt responce.
Let me explain the circumstances that is holding me to say admission card.You see,in my country,we don't have such diploma or certificate of secondary education.What we have is a yearly leaving secondary school certificate.For example,I have all grade 8 to 11th grade certificates and since the education system introduced 12th grade(we used to finish highschool at 11 grade) and I was among the 2nd batch to go to the 12th grade,the only thing we are given at that level is the admission card after succesfully completing the 12th grade and when we sat for state examination,which is we call it matriculation.Eritrean secondary certificate examination.This is what I have now in my hand.The other issue is that even if I try to inquire about it,I won't be having a chance to get it because my status in the current country I am living is refugee.I don't want to go back home.I have the official statement under the UNHCR protection.This was the reason.Please advise
your case is more complicated that what I am used to. I'd write to the US consulate of the country where you currently reside and ask them if your document will be sufficient. Did you by any chance continue your education at a higher level?

your case is more complicated that what I am used to. I'd write to the US consulate of the country where you currently reside and ask them if your document will be sufficient. Did you by any chance continue your education at a higher level?

Yes LuckMO I have gotten a chance to continue my education at a higher level and I am currently a second year student in a University in Kenya.

Hi,
I have a very close relative whose annual income is about 55K. He started working just last month and hasn't got any assets or money in his bank account as he used most of his money for relocation. Can he be my sponsor? He is a LPR through DV.

Any answer to this question

Any answer to this question

i believe he/she can provide AoS for you as long as he can provide documentary evidence of his tax status,Employment/Annual income and finally proof of US residency.He doesn't neccessarily have to present a bank account but of course it makes your case easier if you can provide some bank statement of some sort(yours).Don't make the mistake of going to borrow someone's money to beef up your bank statement because it may look suspicious. If you are a single applicant it's even easier. Sleep sound.