• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

affidavit of support

matinfar

Registered Users (C)
I will have CP interview on November and have already received only one I-134 form from my relative in US including my name as main applicant ( DV winner ) along with my family members ( as my dependant ) .
Is it OK or each family member shall present one I-134 separately??

Please help .

Yah,I-134 forms are required for each family members.

But some US consular do not ask about the affidavit.So you must ask your Embassy where your interview is scheduled whether they need any affidavit .And then do the appropriate.

shohelc said:
Yah,I-134 forms are required for each family members.

But some US consular do not ask about the affidavit.So you must ask your Embassy where your interview is scheduled whether they need any affidavit .And then do the appropriate.
Is this true? I thought I-134 should be filled out for the main applicant only.
Anyone else can clerify this? :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I called the Embassy and they confirmed that only one I-134 would be enough for the whole family names included in it .

I appreciate further comments from experienced people .

I'd like to know where "shohelc" got that information from. :confused:
I read the form I-134 again. It is pretty clear that you fill out one form for the main applicant, and that covers the whole family.
In item 3 the sponsor names the applicant and his/her spouse and children.
In item 4 the sponsor states that the person(s) in item 3 will not become a public charge in U.S..
In item 5 the sponsor promises to support the person(s) in item 3.

you know , one of my friend and another guy they got DV 2006.According to them ,US Consular section in Bangladesh ,they didnt ask anything about support.It depends on different countrys US Consular according to the visa officer.

Thats why, i told you you should ask them before you fill the form.

And your case ,your US consular they said you have to show Evidence of support. Thats it.

shohelc said:
you know , one of my friend and another guy they got DV 2006.According to them ,US Consular section in Bangladesh ,they didnt ask anything about support.It depends on different countrys US Consular according to the visa officer.

Thats why, i told you you should ask them before you fill the form.

And your case ,your US consular they said you have to show Evidence of support. Thats it.
My question was about this comment of yours:
"Yah,I-134 forms are required for each family members."

Anahit said:
My question was about this comment of yours:
"Yah,I-134 forms are required for each family members."
Hi Anahit
I'm from IRAN too like Matinfar and i have this problem too. I ask 2 lawyers and both said 1 is enough for whole family because the name of all family members mentioned in the form,but you know where the funny part is :
please take a look at this page(formal site for downloading the form I-134) and you will see that it says:

Purpose of Form: To file a promise with USCIS to support an alien entering the United States and that the alien will not become a public charge. A separate affidavit must be filed by the sponsor for each person.

Number of Pages: 4

Edition Date: 6/17/04. Other editions acceptable only through 9/30/04.

Where to File: If the sponsor is in the United States, the affidavit may be sworn to or affirmed before an immigration officer (see any USCIS District or sub-office) or before a notary public or other official authorized to administer oaths for general purposes. If the sponsor is outside the United States, the affidavit must be sworn to or affirmed before a U.S. consular or immigration officer.

Filing Fee: None
:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:
http://www.uscis.gov/GRAPHICS/FORMSFEE/FORMS/i-134.htm

thank u all and good luck

matinfar said:
I will have CP interview on November and have already received only one I-134 form from my relative in US including my name as main applicant ( DV winner ) along with my family members ( as my dependant ) .
Is it OK or each family member shall present one I-134 separately??

Please help .

Hi Matinfar and Congratulations again

I just want to ask you please inform us about your interview and the result(of course I hope u pass) because i have an interview in ANKARA too and any
news from you would help me and others much.
thank u and movafagh bashid ensha allah

gr8ideaman said:
Purpose of Form: To file a promise with USCIS to support an alien entering the United States and that the alien will not become a public charge. A separate affidavit must be filed by the sponsor for each person.
"Each person" here means each applicant. In DV case it's the main applicant, the others go with him.

gr8ideaman said:
Hi Matinfar and Congratulations again

I just want to ask you please inform us about your interview and the result(of course I hope u pass) because i have an interview in ANKARA too and any
news from you would help me and others much.
thank u and movafagh bashid ensha allah

Hi gr8ideaman

My interview is in Ankara too and I will keep you infomred surely about the result . By the way when is your interview?

I wish you best success.

affidavit os support

I did my CP in Nairobi and my wife was the principle applicant, we got one affidavit of support from her cousin and all our names were included in it. So one is sufficient as long as all your names are included in it

hello everybody,
a friend of mine sent me i 134, but at point 9 he didn't write anything, i guess he forgot. the question was if he previously had submitted i 134 for anybody.and he did , for someone in his family- who got a tourist visa , one year ago. he told me i should fill in his relative's name instead of getting another affidavit of support from him.do u think is ok like that? anyway, it's only hand writing there....hm ?
also at point eleven he only checked "intend" , without writing exactly what he's gonna do for me there. on another forum someone told me that for dv aplicants, "i intend" it's enough, and that only for tourist visa he should have written more about his support.
so , what do u think, should i ask for another i 134, or chill and wait for my interview?
oh, he also offered an affidavit to another relative who didn,t pass the interview.

bittersweet said:
hello everybody,
a friend of mine sent me i 134, but at point 9 he didn't write anything, i guess he forgot. the question was if he previously had submitted i 134 for anybody.and he did , for someone in his family- who got a tourist visa , one year ago. he told me i should fill in his relative's name instead of getting another affidavit of support from him.do u think is ok like that? anyway, it's only hand writing there....hm ?
If that relative has returned to his home country, then, I guess, you don't have to mention his/her name. If he/she is still in U.S., then you do need to write the person's name. I think, it would be OK if you handwrite the name.
also at point eleven he only checked "intend" , without writing exactly what he's gonna do for me there. on another forum someone told me that for dv aplicants, "i intend" it's enough, and that only for tourist visa he should have written more about his support.
Well, the form says: if you check "intend", you should indicate the exact nature and duration of the contribution. So, maybe you can add something in handwriting.
oh, he also offered an affidavit to another relative who didn't pass the interview.
I don't think you need to mention that relative's name. On the other hand, the affidavit of support is in effect for a year, I believe, so if that relative still has a chance to get a visa with the same affidavit of support, then yes, you need to mention his/her name, as well.

bittersweet said:
thank u anahit for youyr advice!
Thanks for the question!
It made me realize that I should have put my parents' names in No 8, 9, 10, as I'am sponsoring them at the same time I am sponsoring my sister's family. Originally, I thought I shouldn't since I filed I-864 for them, but after reading your question I looked at the form again, checked it here: http://www.immihelp.com/visas/visitor/i134.html, and I realized that sponsorship is sponsorship regardless of which form you filed.
So, I am going to send an updated I-134 to my sister. :)

Hi I have a question. I am dv2007 winner my number will be current either jan or Feb. I am in US in F1 student and i am working inside my univ as a research assistant I choosed CP. I asked the univ to give me a letter that i am working in univ and univ is responsible for my tution and also they give me salary which is nealry 20k yearly. Is this letter is enough or i must let them fill the 134 form?

iaaa99 said:
Hi I have a question. I am dv2007 winner my number will be current either jan or Feb. I am in US in F1 student and i am working inside my univ as a research assistant I choosed CP. I asked the univ to give me a letter that i am working in univ and univ is responsible for my tution and also they give me salary which is nealry 20k yearly. Is this letter is enough or i must let them fill the 134 form?
20K should be enough for up to 4 people: http://www.uscis.gov/graphics/formsfee/forms/files/I-864p.pdf. So, that letter would be enough.
Good luck!

IAAA99
Search the forum, some of the members did AOS with F1 status, you can ask them, I think your 20k salary includes tution and stipend, so its better to talk to somebody who already did AOS with F1.

IAAA99
Opps, you decided to do Cp, in that case you can also call your embassy about affidavit of support, also before leaving don't forget to take a letter from your school that shows your RA job as well as I20.