affidavit of support

dreamcatcher11

Registered Users (C)
I am using a co signer for the affidavit of support because my income isn't quite enough and he said he would help. Here is my question:
My brother has his own business and has been in business for himself for the past 5 years and makes well over the poverty lines. He is the income maker, not his wife but she has signed the last 3 income tax returns. He is the one who makes the money for his family but when they filed income tax return, they filed married and she signed the income return as his wife. My brother wants to sign as a co signer for my husband since my income isn't enough but we weren't sure if his wife had to sign too. She isn't working but her name was on the last 3 returns but my brother is the money maker and has been for the last 7 years. Can he sign alone or is it required for her to sign too since she is his wife? Thanks for any help in answering.

dreamcatcher11 said:
I am using a co signer for the affidavit of support because my income isn't quite enough and he said he would help. Here is my question:
My brother has his own business and has been in business for himself for the past 5 years and makes well over the poverty lines. He is the income maker, not his wife but she has signed the last 3 income tax returns. He is the one who makes the money for his family but when they filed income tax return, they filed married and she signed the income return as his wife. My brother wants to sign as a co signer for my husband since my income isn't enough but we weren't sure if his wife had to sign too. She isn't working but her name was on the last 3 returns but my brother is the money maker and has been for the last 7 years. Can he sign alone or is it required for her to sign too since she is his wife? Thanks for any help in answering.
Who is the business owner on paper? The business owner on paper has to file tax returns and hence he/she is a money maker. So he/she can be a co-sponsor. Provided he/she is a US Citizen or a GC holder.

amishah said:
Who is the business owner on paper? The business owner on paper has to file tax returns and hence he/she is a money maker. So he/she can be a co-sponsor. Provided he/she is a US Citizen or a GC holder.

Thank you for your response. My brother is the owner of the business and his name is on the ownership papers but she signs on the income tax form as his wife, so we didn't know if we had to have her signature on the co sponser.

dreamcatcher11 said:
Thank you for your response. My brother is the owner of the business and his name is on the ownership papers but she signs on the income tax form as his wife, so we didn't know if we had to have her signature on the co sponser.
Okey. I don't know much about IRS But she can sign on tax return if her husband is an owner. I think since he is owner, he has to pay the taxes not her. You might want to talk to their CPA to see who is the owner in eyes of IRS.

Dreamcatcher11, I am a little confuse with your post that your husband is going to his EAD appt in the other thread and you are asking about the Affidavit of support in this one...Didn't you submitted the I-864, did you?

Thanks,

cherr1980 said:
Dreamcatcher11, I am a little confuse with your post that your husband is going to his EAD appt in the other thread and you are asking about the Affidavit of support in this one...Didn't you submitted the I-864, did you?

Thanks,
No, we havent submitted anything yet. We have all of the paper work but I am not sure what all of the forms are called. I know which ones we need but we havent sent anything in yet. The lady at Catholic Charities told me that he had to go get fingerprinted before he got his work permit and I know that one of the documents were are sending off is for the work permit. I'm still new to all of this:)))))))))). I know we will have to drive quite a ways so he can be fingerprinted and I was worried about going into labor. I can go( just won't tell my DR) but I am sure going to be on the look out for the nearest hospital just in case LOL. I know we are sending off the I130 and the autho for work permit and the AOS and co signer and I know there is one more thing but I have to read over everything again.