affidavit of support I-864i

tony king

Hi all,

I am currently filling my K visa, my wife is a USA citizen who has been living in the UK since she was 13 (we are 24 now). I have had the interview in london and passed, the only thing missing from my application was part of the affidavit of support. As my wife has been living in the UK for the last 11 years she has not filled and tax returns in the US, she has never even had a bank account in the US let alone a job.

What we are trying to do is compile our assets so we can get the ball moving. We were both fully employed up until 2 weeks ago. We have a house in our name in the UK which we are planning to use and also some cash in the bank (just over the poverty guideline)

Obviously its hard for us to find jobs in the US as we are currently living in the UK. We have relatives in the US but they are now retired, they will become sponsers if they can but we are not sure how it will work if they do not have a current income (they are home owners though)

If anyone has any experience with filling an affidavit from the UK with no job or house in the US any information or links would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advanced.

Tony

While I dont have any direct experience of spousal filing while both the petitioner and beneficiary are both in the UK, I can maybe attempt to answer some of your questions.

For the tax returns....as far as Im aware, a US citizen still needs to file taxes every year regardless of where they are living. I think the only time they are exempt from filing is if they earn under the taxable threshold ($5000????). Some one please correct me if Im wrong here.
If this is the case, then this will need to be sorted as your spouse will still need to complete the affidavit of support (as she is the main petitioner) as well as your joint sponsor.

A joint sponsor can use their assets to sponsor you......for income wise, they would need to be earning a minimum of $18,000 a year, and then they will need to add on (I think) $5,000 for each additional person in the household. If they are not earning an income, then they can use their assets, but I believe that these need to be 3x the specified income (ie, if they needed $18,000 in income, they could instead use 3x $18,000 in assets).

The numbers I am using here are just guesstimates as I dont have the actual USCIS figures in front of me, so please just use them as ball park figures to work around.

Thanks so much for the quick reply, i think we can write to the IRS and request my wifes tax return even if there is nothing on it, as she has been studying in the UK since she was 12.

My parents have been kind enough to offer to lend me the money needed to make up 3x specified income, do you know if there are any background checks as to where the money has come from when filling the affidavit, or will i just need to specify that the money was a gift.

Thanks again