• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Affidavit of support,Big QUESTON.?

Affidavit of support is not required for DV Immigration.
pls goto the following link.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#_Overview_–_Who

Who Needs an Affidavit of Support?

This form is legally required for many family-based and some employment based immigrants to show they have adequate means of support, when planning to immigrate to the U.S. Generally, the following intending immigrants need an Affidavit of Support:

i. Applicants for family-based immigrant visas, including certain orphans.

ii. Applicants for employment-based immigrant visas where a relative filed the immigrant visa petition or has a 5 percent or greater ownership interest in the business that filed the petition

Affidavit of support is not required for DV Immigration.
pls goto the following link.

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3183.html#_Overview_–_Who

Who Needs an Affidavit of Support?

This form is legally required for many family-based and some employment based immigrants to show they have adequate means of support, when planning to immigrate to the U.S. Generally, the following intending immigrants need an Affidavit of Support:

i. Applicants for family-based immigrant visas, including certain orphans.

ii. Applicants for employment-based immigrant visas where a relative filed the immigrant visa petition or has a 5 percent or greater ownership interest in the business that filed the petition
zahid474,
Please are you saying immigration for family winners of DV do not require affidavit of support?
This issue require real clarification. If it is not required why did KCC specify this in their requirements as contained in the NL package.

zahid474,
Please are you saying immigration for family winners of DV do not require affidavit of support?
This issue require real clarification. If it is not required why did KCC specify this in their requirements as contained in the NL package.

Affidavit of support is not required if you can show proof of being able to take care of ur self by showing ur bank statement/job offer.

It is stated in the US Department of state's web site that I-134 is not acceptable.
check this link:
http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants/info/info_3730.html
Please Explain.................

It doesn't state in that link that the I-134 is not acceptable. That is the link for the FAQ page of the I-864 form so it gives info for the I-864 form. In general the I-864 form is required for family based immigrants and some employment based immigrants. For those catagories an (I-864) affidavid of support is an absolute requirement

For DV visa applicants the affidavid of support uses the I-134 form. In general it is not an absolute must for DV applicants to have an affidavid of support. However it can be useful to prove to the consular officer doing the visa interview that there is no chance of being a burden on the government after coming to the US. Unlike family and employment based immigrants, Dv applicants have the option of proving that they will not be a burden on the government using other methods too without giving an affidavid of support. These other methods are - job offer and showing money in the bank.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear J Cloud,

YES, I saying immigration for family winners of DV DO NOT require affidavit of support. I have talked with many persons regarding affidavit of support who already received GC thro DV . Everybody replied me that affidavit of support was not required for them and the officers never asked for that.

"family-based immigrant visas" is a different type of immigration process. Usally a migrated person can apply for his/her family members for the immigration.

Read this state department document.

It says -

Do applicants who are applying for an immigrant visa in a visa category that does not require the
I-864 Affidavit of Support, such as the diversity immigrant visa, need to meet the public charge
provisions of Section 213A of the INA?

Consular officers will review immigrant visa applicants whose visa categories do not require the I-864
under the public charge guidelines in Section 212(a)(4) of the Immigration and Nationality Act. The
applicants must show that they will not become a public charge. A consular officer may ask for an
Affidavit of Support
, Form I-134 and supporting documents. The sponsor will need to show income at
100 percent of the federal poverty guidelines for household size, not the 125 percent required under
Section 213A of the INA.

The long and short of it is –

1) DV applicants are required to show that they will not become a “public charge”. i.e. They are required to show that they will not become a burden on the government.
2) To do this the most common methods are: to either get a job offer, show money in the bank, or get an affidavit of support. Other factors such as english skills, professional qualifications and experience, good health, age of the applicant also count.
3) If an applicant can show some combination of a job offer, money in the bank, professional qualifications and experience etc. to the point of satisfying consular officer then an I-134 affidavit of support will not be required.
4) If an applicant doesn’t have a US job offer and doesn’t have much money and doesn’t have good educational qualifications then an affidavit of support will be useful to demonstrate to the consular officer that he will not become a public charge.
5) There are no fixed rules. Everything depends on the opinion of the consular officer doing the interview. The consular officer has to take a look at the “total circumstances” of the applicant and make the determination whether he is likely to become a public charge.
6) Different consular offices and embassies follow different procedures. In some countries almost all applicants are required to present an affidavit of support while there are reports in this forum that in some countries applicants aren’t asked for any form of proof to show that they will not become a public charge, neither money in the bank, nor job offer, nor affidavit of support.

Last edited by a moderator:
thx for Clarification

Thx for Clarification.

It seems it is always useful to call KCC when there is important question, and we are happy that you have shared this info.

guys, it all depends on the country. In some pretty much everybody needs to produce it (Uzbekistan, for example), and in others (Russia, Ukraine) - the consular officer asks for it only in some cases. Same goes for other countries - it's very individual.

guys, it all depends on the country. In some pretty much everybody needs to produce it (Uzbekistan, for example), and in others (Russia, Ukraine) - the consular officer asks for it only in some cases. Same goes for other countries - it's very individual.

You are correct LucyMO; it all depends on the country. Hey guys its all common sense here:
Somebody who lives in the rich countries of europe, is currently in a job, has good education, will most unlikely become a public charge.
Somebody from Africa with a minimum requirement for the DV i.e college diploma and some years of experience as a school teacher, would most likely (an assumption they make) become a public charge.
There is also an element of social capabilities in this affidavit issue. Europe and America are virtually the same socially. Somebody who has lived in Europe would definitely not have much problems living in america. However for somebody from Africa or Asia, living in America would be so much of a social and cultural shock and that might lead to serious public concerns.
To conclude, different countries handle this issue differently and that is reasonable enough.
To be on the safe side go ahead and get as much financial supporting evidence as you can; affidavit of support, bank statements, job....

it all depends on the country

You are correct LucyMO; it all depends on the country. Hey guys its all common sense here:
Somebody who lives in the rich countries of europe, is currently in a job, has good education, will most unlikely become a public charge.
Somebody from Africa with a minimum requirement for the DV i.e college diploma and some years of experience as a school teacher, would most likely (an assumption they make) become a public charge.
There is also an element of social capabilities in this affidavit issue. Europe and America are virtually the same socially. Somebody who has lived in Europe would definitely not have much problems living in america. However for somebody from Africa or Asia, living in America would be so much of a social and cultural shock and that might lead to serious public concerns.
To conclude, different countries handle this issue differently and that is reasonable enough.
To be on the safe side go ahead and get as much financial supporting evidence as you can; affidavit of support, bank statements, job....