Affidavit of residence for citizenship interview

JindraGC

Registered Users (C)
When going for the citizenship interview, I will probably have to gather all document regarding my present and past residences such as lease agreements, utility bills, etc.

What-if I don't have those?
What-if I just paid cash to somebody to stay?

Is lack of residence documentation any problem with citizenship interview? Would it be sufficient to just get a sworn statement letter that I had lived on an address?

If you are not on th border for physical present or continuous residence, don't bother. the IO just take your words for that.

But if the IO calculate your residence duration as just a few days above threshold, it will be a different matter

Are you applying for citizenship based on marriage? Or did you travel so much that you may have violated the physical presence or continuous residence requirements?

If not, don't worry about this; it should be sufficient to show a driver's license or state ID which has the same address you specified on the N-400.

If you are not on th border for physical present or continuous residence, don't bother. the IO just take your words for that.

But if the IO calculate your residence duration as just a few days above threshold, it will be a different matter

I will be applying with 31 months or physical presence and continuous residence of 4 years. So, maybe I will be actually on the edge...

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you applying for citizenship based on marriage? Or did you travel so much that you may have violated the physical presence or continuous residence requirements?

If not, don't worry about this; it should be sufficient to show a driver's license or state ID which has the same address you specified on the N-400.

My citizenship application is going to be based on DV lottery. I will be applying using 4 years and 1 day rule, because couple years ago I had to take a trip over one year using re-entry permit as I described in my post here.

I have never had a written lease agreement nor paid any utility bills in my name as all was done thru my roommate(s). I have been travelling also, but never longer than 5 month at a time.

Thank you Jackolantern for the reply! I really much appreciate your input.

(1) If you use 4 years + 1 day , do you have to show some proof of residence during those 364 days immediately preceding 4 years + 1 day?

(2) Is the window back 4 years + 1 day or 5 years? In case of the latter, I guess one has to list out the big 1+ year trip on N-400 too.

(1) If you use 4 years + 1 day , do you have to show some proof of residence during those 364 days immediately preceding 4 years + 1 day?

(2) Is the window back 4 years + 1 day or 5 years? In case of the latter, I guess one has to list out the big 1+ year trip on N-400 too.

1) No.
2) Technically it's 5 years, but they give you the 364 days before the start of the 4y+1d time frame so you really only need to worry about your trips within the 4 years + 1 day.

On the N-400 you have to list all trips since becoming a permanent resident. But in the question where they ask for the total of days outside the US, they only ask about the past 5 years. So you list every trip, but add up the days only for the past 5 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
1) No.
2) Technically it's 5 years, but they give you the 364 days before the start of the 4y+1d time frame so you really only need to worry about your trips within the 4 years + 1 day.

On the N-400 you have to list all trips since becoming a permanent resident. But in the question where they ask for the total of days outside the US, they only ask about the past 5 years. So you list every trip, but add up the days only for the past 5 years.

Thanks! That's a relief.
However, the USCIS document checklist says:

If you have taken any trip outside the United States that lasted 6 months or more since becoming a Lawful Permanent Resident, send evidence that you (and your family) continued to live, work and/or keep ties to the United States, such as IRS transcript and Rent or mortgage payment stubs

This wording is a bit concerning. I did have valid re-entry permit during the time I was gone, but I have no Rent or Mortgage payment stubs. It was only an address which my friend used to catch my mail.
Could that be a problem?

Ignore that. They're not going to ask for evidence related to trips that ended more than 5 years ago, unless it appears that you should have lost your green card due to that trip, e.g. if the trip was longer than 1 year they may ask for evidence to explain how you kept your green card after that trip, such as a reentry permit or military deployment papers or SB-1 visa.

Thank you sir!

I will make sure to only obtain some documents for 4 years back and include expired reentry permit for the one trip in my history that exceeded one year.