advise please -> f-1 to h-1b without completing PhD degree

abhisingh121

Registered Users (C)
hi
am on a f-1 visa thru 2007 for a phd - after 8 months stay did an internship as CPT - curricular practical training. Company has offered to sponsor H-1 and GC.

could you please advise me on

1) f-1 to H-1 without completing degree.
2) impact of non-completion of degree on Gc
please note: i don't have a ms - came straight after btech for PhD

thanks a ton
abhi

1) Generally no problem as long as you have the equivalent of a US bachelor's degree, and the company is genuine.

2) Might be an issue for GC. For the employment based second preference category, one might need to show some advanced degrees, or considerable work experience.

Why not finish an MS degree before going to work, since you have already spent some time in the program. If its a good school, the degree will stay with you for ever, and might help job prospects in future.

thanks a ton raj

thanks a lot for the advice Raj, you do have a valid point

- for gc a masters degree would definitely help
-would you have any idea of how much of a help it would be
if it improves chances from 80% to 85-90% then i'd deftly consider it - but if its just a small amount - 2 to 3% then i feel
spending one year wouldn't be worth it.

also the university is not a very good one so i don't think i'll miss that much.

take care
abhi

You can check out the information regarding the various employment based GC categories on the web (e.g www.murthy.com/gc.html). It will definitely help to have an MS degree for EB2 category. Otherwise one might need an additional 5 years or so work experience with only a BS degree. Also you can post your question in the other forums that deal with GC.

thaks raj

thanks a lot raj
i'll deftly post my query in some gc related forums

really appreciate ur help/advice
take care
abhi

Given the state of the economy and the low demand for employment based GC categories, its unlikely the EB-3 category will retrogress any time in the near future - so theres not much benefit (purely from a GC perspective) in getting an advanced degree. EB3 has been current for a long time now.

LC processing criteria for either category would more or less be the same.

True. But getting to the stage of filing I-485 will take time. The economy might improve in a few years and it might make a difference between EB2 and EB3.

Hi all,
Even I had a similar case and got my H1 from F1 after 8 months and after doing a CPT.
But what I am worried is at the time of visa stamping.
Does anyone have a similar case and got the visa stamped

F1 to H-4

guys..my question is kind of out of place,but i was just wondering if anyone knew anything about conversion from F-1 to H-4..? is it possible or done? i plan to get my fiancee on student visa, and then do a registered marriage here..getting a H-4 will slash her student fees by half as she will qualify for in state resident fees.

No issues with conversion from F-1 to H-4, however H-4 holders cannot work whereas F-1 can work 20 hrs or so on-campus, work during summers and get OPT (12 months) after graduation. These benefits might outweigh the lower tuition, but dont believe there are any immigration related issues in this conversion..

What if the company doesn't live up to its end
of the bargain? This happened in my case.
Don't lose ties with your school, and try to make
sure you could come back any time (say,
keep a 0 hour registration -- this doesn't cost
much).
This happened in my case, and after a sudden
layoff I was able to immediately become a
student again (although I had trouble changing
my status back for an unrelated reason).

Hi,
but is there anyone who had got his/her visa stamped without completion of degree and what are the possible questions being asked?

Thanks

Originally posted by rash1234
Hi,
but is there anyone who had got his/her visa stamped without completion of degree and what are the possible questions being asked?

Thanks

I am afraid my case won't help since I've already
had a masters degree when I switched to H-1.
In a consulate in Toronto, I was asked to show
the diploma, and the question of interrupted
education never came up.