Advise Needed - Urgent

gc_mushy

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,
I am going through CP route. I was not aware that I need to have official birth certificate. As I don't have that for my spouse, NVC requested me to send the BC. I am unable to obtain one from India and don't know how long it might take. I am not sure what to do. I like to get my GC as early as I can. I was of opinion to proceed with my application and withdraw her application as of now. Later I can file FTJ for her.
Please provide your suggestions. Thanks a bunch

gc_mushy

gc_mushy,

So was the case with me. The process is quite simple. All you need to do is get a sworn statement (notorized document) from your in-laws (mother in-law preferred) and a document from muncipal corp as mentioned below.
I was in similar situtation and it took only a week to get it done. Make sure you have all the document in English. And usually NVC never requests a BC, you need to take above ( actually below) mentioned documents with you to American Consulate at the time of your interview.

I am cut-pasting something from usembassy.state.gov >>

My birth/marriage was never registered. What do I do now?

In cases where birth or marriage certificates from the authorities are unavailable or contain insufficient information, a sworn statement executed by either the parents of the applicant, if living, or other close relatives older than the applicant, all of whom must have personal knowledge of the birth or marriage, may be submitted. The affidavit should set forth the relationship between the deponent and the applicant, how well the deponent knows the applicant, how the deponent comes to know about the facts to which he or she is swearing, date and place of applicant's birth or marriage, and any other related facts. Such an affidavit, when a birth or marriage certificate is unavailable, must be accompanied by a document from a competent governmental authority confirming that the birth or marriage certificate does not exist or no longer exists.

Hope this helps,

Thanks for the info Ram_Frm_RIC
I tried getting a non-availibility of BC from the muncipal department. But the reason they are giving us is that since she was born after 1970 we cannot give her the certificate. I am not able to get anything. Don't know what to do.

I got married in 02. Is it possible for me to complete my process first and then file for her FTJ.

Response is appreciated.
gc_mushy

I don't see why they are doing so. I would suggest you to give it another shot by going thru somebody who has some "contacts" in the department which issues those kind of certificates. All you need is that certificate, they can put any reason they want on the certificate, it will not matter.... for all the other documents you don't have to go knocking on any govt. office, so that shouldn't be a problem.

It is possible to get your CP done first and then do your wife's later... but why not do it now. I would have done it at the same time. Just find out somebody who owes you a favor and get it done.

Good luck,

gc_mushy said:
Thanks for the info Ram_Frm_RIC
I tried getting a non-availibility of BC from the muncipal department. But the reason they are giving us is that since she was born after 1970 we cannot give her the certificate. I am not able to get anything. Don't know what to do.

I got married in 02. Is it possible for me to complete my process first and then file for her FTJ.

Response is appreciated.
gc_mushy

I believe keeping of birth records has been made mandatory from 1975 in India. Maybe that is the reason they are reluctant to issue a NAC in her case. If that is the case, they should be able to give an actual birth certificate. Make a specific request for this. If they are unable to give a birth certificate, they should then give an NAC.(they cannot say 'No' to both)

As far as possible it would be good to complete the process for both of you
at the same time.

Raju

simple solution

Even i had the same issue. I went to the nearest indian consulate and got a BC for my wife and sent it to the NVC. They accepted it. Before I went for the interview in India, I got the original from India. So Dont worry. You can get the BC from the Indian consulate the same day.

m160

Thanks for the valuable information Gurus. I have the BC from Consulate of Chicago and the lawyer is telling that they will not accept one from consulate..

Regards
gc_mushy

Hello

This post is a query regarding birth not being registered

My birth was not registrered and I have to get affidavits and Non-Availability or No Records letter from Municipalituy.

I want to know whether
1. The affidavits need to be executed in city of BIRTH (Udupi, Karnataka) or I can execute it in current city of residence (Bangalore, Karnataka)?

2. Should the affidavits be executed in front of a first class magistrate as mentioned on the consular website or a notary stamp is enough ?

3. My DOB is 12-Apr-1976 - Should I get a court order to get my birth officially registered OR the NABC + 10th Certificate + Affidavit is enough. I am asking this question because I think there is a Govt order that all births have to be registered after 1970.

Please let me know if there were any other issues while submitting these type of docs at the consulate.

Thanks for your help - it will be greatly appreciated.
Abdul