Advise needed - J-1/J-2 - Health Insurance

chrsts

Hello everyone,

Here is my story:
My wife is a J-1 and I am a J-2 with work authorization.
Both Visas expire in July 09. We asked for extension of 1 year and the university said that there was a mix up with the health insurance and me (the dependent) was not covered under any insurance for a time period of 6 months.

I have to say here that a year ago the university forced me to enroll in their own offered insurance even though I had a better one through my employer.

So, now they will not extend my visas and my wife has 6 more months to go to finish her PhD.

My question: Can I detach my J-2 from her J-1 in any way? Can I willfully leave the country and self-terminate my visa? If yes, can they still deny her an extension?

Any other ideas of what we can do?

Thanks.

This does not make sense. Who denied the extension - university declined to file or USCIS?

Look at all of her paystubs or whatever shows the insurance deductions. Look at the paperwork she signed authorizing withholding of insurance. Look at any reenrollment paperwork to see if indeed the insurance was cancelled by her signing or not signing.

Get a consult with an attorney to see if there is a valid reason for any of what you are being told..

Her extension should not be bound to how many J-2 dependents she has. If you want to leave the US, just surrender your J-2 based I-94 and board a flight out.

My question: Can I detach my J-2 from her J-1 in any way? Can I willfully leave the country and self-terminate my visa? If yes, can they still deny her an extension?

So, your wife and you, both were not covered by insurance for 6 months? Didn't J1 program officer buy insurance for your wife (J1 student) or check your wife's insurance purchase? Or, just you had a insurance problem? I am not sure why the university intervines DS-2019 business. Why don't you guys talk to J1 program visa officer?

The J1 program I am familiar with has their own visa officer and the participants need to talk to him for DS2019, Visa, and insurance, not to the university office. The insurance required for J1 visa students are different from the university insurance. J1 students need an insurance that covers midecal evacuation to home country and repartriation of remains that usual university insurance will not cover. So, J1 program often makes a special arrangement with an insurance company. They buy those for us. They also check spouse insurances.

The program your wife is in might be very different from mine.

Hello everyone,

Here is my story:
My wife is a J-1 and I am a J-2 with work authorization.
Both Visas expire in July 09. We asked for extension of 1 year and the university said that there was a mix up with the health insurance and me (the dependent) was not covered under any insurance for a time period of 6 months.

I have to say here that a year ago the university forced me to enroll in their own offered insurance even though I had a better one through my employer.

So, now they will not extend my visas and my wife has 6 more months to go to finish her PhD.

Any other ideas of what we can do?

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: