Advice on how to get H1 while on H4 in US

imqwer

Registered Users (C)
Dear Doctors,
I am writing this on behalf of my wife who is a doctor with USMLE 1, 2 (ck+cs). She is currently on H4 for 2 1/2 years. She wants to get some sort of job (either residency or research job) on H1. J1 visa is no option for us.
I am an IT professional and know nothing about medical job prospects. So, please help us in these questions.

1. Can she get an H1B with USMLE 1 and 2? I heard step 3 is also required.

2. Where should we look for job listings for doctors - residency or research jobs where the employers are normally willing to offer H1?

3. I heard that it is easier to get research jobs form universities on H1? True or false? If true, how and where to look for these jobs?

As I wrote earlier and is clearly evident from my questions too, I do not know much on this subject, so please take some time and help us understand the process and the job market.
I would highly appreciate your kind response.

Let me take a stab at some of the questions you have.

imqwer said:
Dear Doctors,

1. Can she get an H1B with USMLE 1 and 2? I heard step 3 is also required.

-> Yes, if she wants to do residency on H1

2. Where should we look for job listings for doctors - residency or research jobs where the employers are normally willing to offer H1?

For residency, start with http://www.nrmp.org/

Who would offer H1, it is hard to say. You have to select programs and ask for it. I have heard that programs in demand don't offer H1's but I have seen exceptions to this. So, you have to try and see. If they want you, they would be flexible.

For research, there is no data base like residency.

3. I heard that it is easier to get research jobs form universities on H1? True or false? If true, how and where to look for these jobs?

Yes, and also Universities would be exempt from H1 quota's.

Having some research done would definitely help securing residency.

Good luck....

H1B for residency & research positions

For residency you need Step 3. Because you need Medical License or graduate traininig permit, step 3 gives you eligilibity for permit or license! usually small community hospital programs tend to give H1B for residency training and Uni. programs insist on J1.If she gets a residency offer and still did not clear Step 3, J 1 is not the end of the world! Recently J 1 laws have become very liberal and it is not impossible to get a waiver job! I would concentrate on clearing step 3 and to get into residency, if you cant get H1B then take J1 and worry about later!

Step 3 for residency ?

See, that 's the reason why I am confused. I am thankful for the above two responses.

But both contradict each other in sense that one says step 3 is not required for residency and the other says it is. Who is correct? I know few doctors doing residency without step 3 but on J1. Has any rule changed in the meanwhile about this?

Also I have some doubts about J1. Our I-140 for GC are approved and we are tied up by the recent visa retrogression. Whenever my priority date becomes current, we hope to get EAD. Would J1 hurt our GC process?

Last edited by a moderator:
But both contradict each other in sense that one says step 3 is not required for residency and the other says it is. Who is correct? I know few doctors doing residency without step 3 but on J1. Has any rule changed in the meanwhile about this?

Keep it simple... For residency: She doesn't need step 3. Without step 3, she can either take J1 or use EAD when she gets it.

She needs to clear step 3 if she wants H1B.

Last edited by a moderator: