Advice needed on I-94

annv

Registered Users (C)
I just came back after Carribean vacation. I surrender my I-94 card in airport, as usual. I did not know that before, but US travelers pass custom and immigration control before they boarded the plane on the island. Immigration officer looked at my RTD as a miracle of the nature, interrogated me for 20 min and then put a stamp in my passport, which (I think) should be used only for Green Card holders. When I asked if he will reissue a new I-94, he asked what I am talking about. I know enough not to argue with INS officials, especially if they can stop me from returning, so I decided that I will take care of it in good all JFK and boarded plane. But in JFK we landed in the gate in domestic section, so now I don't have I-94 anymore. I don't know what to do. Should I apply for the replacement of lost I-94 or take a day of and go to Federal Plaza and try to clear situation?

Originally posted by annv
I just came back after Carribean vacation. I surrender my I-94 card in airport, as usual. I did not know that before, but US travelers pass custom and immigration control before they boarded the plane on the island. Immigration officer looked at my RTD as a miracle of the nature, interrogated me for 20 min and then put a stamp in my passport, which (I think) should be used only for Green Card holders. When I asked if he will reissue a new I-94, he asked what I am talking about. I know enough not to argue with INS officials, especially if they can stop me from returning, so I decided that I will take care of it in good all JFK and boarded plane. But in JFK we landed in the gate in domestic section, so now I don't have I-94 anymore. I don't know what to do. Should I apply for the replacement of lost I-94 or take a day of and go to Federal Plaza and try to clear situation?

Was the I-94 that you surrendered valid indefinetely? If it was, that retard should not have taken it from you. When i came back from Canada last month, they tried to take it from me and could not because i told them that they should not. Earlier this month, there was a discussion in this forum about getting a new I-94 in your local office. The bad news is that according to Kelvin, it may cost 100 bucks. You will always need that I-94 whether to renew your RTD or to prove your legal status..etc

I don't understand why you surrended your I-94 when you came back. The airline people take it when you leave the country, when you come back they are suposed to issue a new one.
I went to the caribbean also and when I came back they gave me a new I-94 with a special stamp for asylees.

I encountered exactly the same experience but what i did a couple of weeks ago, was to contact by phone the BCIS office from which my asylum was granted.I was told that i shouldn`t be charged a dime since it was bcis mistake that they never issued me the I-94 when i came back from overseas.

when you read formI-102 explains that if any error with your form I-94 was not made through your fault,you do not need to pay a fee to request form I-94.

If you have a fax i will be more than happy to fax you the application with instructions that come with it.

I was not very clear. I strrender I-94 when I left country. Sometimes airpoty clerks forget about it, but lately they are more alert. I was sure that I will be issued a new one when I come back - I did it many times and in JFK immigration officer just take a look on the color of my passport and waives me to the room, wher they issue new cards. But this guy on Aruba probably never heard about RTD before. Sessandra, I printed out application from the web site. What should I do? Attach to it explanation of what happeed? Should I mail it or just go to local INS office? Thanks so much for your advice.

I was not very clear. I strrender I-94 when I left country. Sometimes airpoty clerks forget about it, but lately they are more alert. I was sure that I will be issued a new one when I come back - I did it many times and in JFK immigration officer just take a look on the color of my passport and waives me to the room, wher they issue new cards. But this guy on Aruba probably never heard about RTD before. Sessandra, I printed out application from the web site. What should I do? Attach to it explanation of what happeed? Should I mail it or just go to local INS office? Thanks so much for your advice.

I though that you only surrender your I-94 if you were on a B2 visa

if i were u, i'd go to the nearest BCIS office and tell the officer what have happened to u, asking for a new i-94 without charging u.

As i suggested,contact the office where your asylum was granted. That is what i did.They asked me to fax copies of proof that i am an asylee which i did.My asylum was granted in Houston,Texas.

A week later they sent me form I-102,attached was an instructural note of where i should mail the form which is BCIS in Mesquite Texas.

Last year , i traveled to france with an RTD.Coming back to US ,at Ohare airport ,i just found out that my I 94 wasn't on me but in the luggage .I explained my situation to INS officer and he said don;t worry just fill out a form for a new I94.I end up with 2 i 94 in my possession .
1 valid indefinely the other was valid for only 1 year.

Spole with NCIS officer on phone. She said that I don't need I-94 and when I will renew my RTD I have to send a copy of passport page with 'admitted' stamp. I am not sure if I believed her.

Hi when I went to Germany, I didn't even take my I-94 with me and when I came back in Cincinnati I just showed my ID and Told her I Dont have my I-94, I had to wait for 20 minutes when she went to the room, but they didn't give me any I-94 or Something, just a sticker in My RTD that said I have to get promission when I travel again.,

Got My I 94

I drove over to Mexico, crossed the border and reentered the US.At the border I told the US immig officer that I needed a I94.He gave me a slip and asked me to go to the Special services section where I paid $6 as service charge to get my new I 94.That was great.
Preston

Re: Got My I 94

Originally posted by prestonP
I drove over to Mexico, crossed the border and reentered the US.At the border I told the US immig officer that I needed a I94.He gave me a slip and asked me to go to the Special services section where I paid $6 as service charge to get my new I 94.That was great.
Preston

do we need to use the RTD to travel out to Mexico?
what kind of document did u bring as proof of ur status?
thanx

I 94

No kevin I just took my new companys I 797 Approval notice( new H1 B as Im on H1, whats RTD ????) and asked them to give me a new I94 based on that.I had my passport too.You dont need a visa to travel upto Tijuana ( Mex border)and back.

Thank you for posting. We are addressing issues relating to asylum here so your experience is very different from ours.
Asylees are REQUIRED TO HAVE a RTD to reenter the USA.