Advance Parole & Transit Visa

SadashivePethi

Registered Users (C)
Gurus,

I am planning to visit India in Dec 06, I am on EAD & AP for last several years.
The question is does thravelling through European countries
( except Netherlands ) requires a "transit" visa?

Do European embassies in USA issue a "transit" visa being an I-485 applicant and travelling on AP?

Please advise.

Last edited by a moderator:
No Transit Visa Required @ Frankfurt If You Have AP

devdas said:
Yes and Yes

Gurus,

Attached is a letter from German Consulate stating no tranist visa is required to travel through Germany if you have Advance Parole.

Please share your thoughts whether this is enough to travel through Frankfurt.

I travelled via Frankfurt with transit visa in Sep' 05. They might have changed the rules since then.
I would suggest you better call the German embassy and tell them your situation and their service is good.

Devdas

SadashivePethi,

just a clarification, if you read the attached doc, there is a clause that says "The approval notice is not sufficient for returning to the USA without an airport transit visa"

The last time I went during April 05 via frankfurt, I got a transit visa in advance, I also sent them an emal to the german consolate and the reply I got from them was "Yes you need transit visa" even though I clearly mentioned that I do have advance parole to re-enter USA, they mentioned as long as you dont have I551 stamp / valid visa you need airport transit visa.

The rules might have changed as this doc is dated 11/2005, I would suggest you to check with them

MI485pending said:
SadashivePethi,

just a clarification, if you read the attached doc, there is a clause that says "The approval notice is not sufficient for returning to the USA without an airport transit visa"

The last time I went during April 05 via frankfurt, I got a transit visa in advance, I also sent them an emal to the german consolate and the reply I got from them was "Yes you need transit visa" even though I clearly mentioned that I do have advance parole to re-enter USA, they mentioned as long as you dont have I551 stamp / valid visa you need airport transit visa.

The rules might have changed as this doc is dated 11/2005, I would suggest you to check with them

Gurus,

Thanks a lot, I will check with German Consulate once again to clarify.

Does German Consulate issue transit visa by mail?

Not if you are applying for second time.

Otherwise you need to go in person. Call the embassy for more clarification.

Can I travel to Costa Rica on AP. I am Indian citizen and have been told Indian citizens do not need visa for costa rica.
Will there be any problems in coming back to US from Costa rica on AP.

SadashivePethi said:
Gurus,

I am planning to visit India in Dec 06, I am on EAD & AP for last several years.
The question is does thravelling through European countries
( except Netherlands ) requires a "transit" visa?

Do European embassies in USA issue a "transit" visa being an I-485 applicant and travelling on AP?

Please advise.

Early this year I went via FrankFurt to India and vice versa using AP. NO Transit Visa needed.

gcwait444 said:
Early this year I went via FrankFurt to India and vice versa using AP. NO Transit Visa needed.

Hi gcwait444,

Just to clarify, I am not planning to stamp any VISA in India while returning would German/ American immigration requires actual stamped visa or a copy of approved AP is good enough?

What was your situation & experience?

Thanks a lot.

Friends, I have the same question. I am going to India on AP in Dec through Frankfurt. Please share the information.

My wife has just come back from INDIA for a month trip.

She had a valid AP and that's all...No need of transit visa if you are taking connecting flight and when you are coming back ...you just need valid H1B or EAD to prove i believe...Because in INDIA, When you take a flight, it looks like they have asked her to show the valid Visa and that time she had valid H1B visa (I-797) but not stamp. She was ok...

-Ravi Surya.

Need Transit Visa if no other US visa is stamped

Gurus,

Yesterday I received latest update from German Consulate ( attached ), Indian/Turkish travellers need transit visa if no other valid US visa is stamped while returning to USA. Just approved AP is not enough.

Thanks

Thanks SadashivePethi for the update.

However, I beg to differ with the text you wrote. Letter from Germany consulate says "just approval notice is not sufficient, but needs visa". This is similar to H1B, where visa is required, but not just I797. For AP, that itself is a travel document. Isn't that true?

Guys,
We need to resolve this before we start our friendly travel. please post your updates.

No travel visa required if travelling with valid AP via frankfurt Germany. I came 3 weeks back without any problems.

Probably S_Reddy is right

S_Reddy said:
No travel visa required if travelling with valid AP via frankfurt Germany. I came 3 weeks back without any problems.

Gurus,

Probably S_Reddy is right. Following is an email exchange between me and German consulate, just trying to make sure that I do not fall in transit visa trap.
I will update the forum as I get more feedback from German consulate. I have asked them to clarify abt my "No valid US visa" situation and instead using AP as travelling doucment. Just trying to bring all agencies ( German and USA immigration offices ) on the same page.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dear xxxxx,

if your Advance Parole is still valid, at the time you flight out, you do not need a transit visa. If your Advance Parole is expired than you can mail your paper and passport to us.

Best regards
gina

----- Original Message -----
To: .CHIC RK-VISA-1001 Peters, Regina
Sent: Tuesday, October 31, 2006 4:47 PM
Subject: RE: Anfrage auf Germany Info

Regina,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Could you please advise whether I can apply for transit visa through mail and if not is German Consulate at Chicago open on 7th Nov.

Greatly appreciate your help.

Thanks
---------------------------------------------------------------------------