advance parole question

anne_cyzy

Registered Users (C)
I was on my H1-B and am currently working, I am applying for green card through marriage. I have turned in everything needed to local INS. I was told that it will be a long process, so I also turned in the advance parole application the same day, since I want to go to China in Oct/Nov. If the advance parole is granted, do I still need to go to the American embassy in China to get a visa to be able to come back? Or passport and the advance parole will be enough? Thanks in advance!

To my understanding, you'll need both AP and EAD to enter US. After that, your status will be changed to adjustment other than H-1.

Thanks TxGreenCard! EAD is the working authorization (I-765) right? I do have it. I got it the same day I turned in my applications. I had my H1-B working permit prior to that, now I have the working permit based on my pending permanent resident status. So I should be fine to enter the US with the advance parole only (do I still need a visa from the American Embassy)?

I am asking this because I am very confused. The officer at the local INS office told me that even with AP, I need to go apply for a visa from the American Embassy in China; but when I called the 800 number of INS, the information officer told me, I only need AP, since that is the travel permit. When I asked my company lawyer the same question, she only told me that AP is the travel permit, but didn't mention if I still need a visa.

I hope somebody out there who actually had the experience of travelling outside the US with AP could help me with this! I would really appreciate it if somebody could answer my question! Thanks a bunch in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
anne_cyzy:

I think you DO NOT need a visa from the American Embassy when you come back USA from CHINA. AP is the travel permit, a replacement of the visa.
You could bring your I-485 receipt and EAD with you just in case. I went to China and came back USA in last January. The customs officer just checked my AP and asked several questions.

Wish you have a good travel in China.

When you come back USA, the custom officer may ask you a question like "how do you get the immigration status?". You should answer "through marriage". I could not understand that question at that moment and it made me very nervous. Since I applied AP based on employment, I am not sure if you should bring your marriage certificate or something like that.

you should also take

copies of your previous H1 aproval notices and the reciept notice for 485, also make copies of your AP and carry. At boarding they sometimes ask for it and if you don't have a copy they would try and keep originals.