Adopting a foreign child while on green card

Calinca

Registered Users (C)
Does anybody know if this is possible? My husband and I are green card holders and we want to adopt a kid from another country. Does anyone know what kind of visa we need to get for the kid?
Thanks a lot

Calinca said:
Does anybody know if this is possible? My husband and I are green card holders and we want to adopt a kid from another country. Does anyone know what kind of visa we need to get for the kid?
Thanks a lot

I believe only US citizens can adopt children from abroad. A good friend of mine (LPR) and his wife (USC) told me this recently. They were only able to adopt because she was a USC.

who can you adopt? i assume you can not adopt your kith and kins aka blood relatives. how about distant relatives? can you adopt your wifes brothers children? can you adopt your father's sister's children? can you adopt your mother's sister's children?

if they are above 18 or 21 yrs of age can they adopted?

Can you guys answer in both cases i.e when the person is LPR and When the person is USC.

Pungiwalla said:
who can you adopt? i assume you can not adopt your kith and kins aka blood relatives. how about distant relatives? can you adopt your wifes brothers children? can you adopt your father's sister's children? can you adopt your mother's sister's children?

if they are above 18 or 21 yrs of age can they adopted?

Can you guys answer in both cases i.e when the person is LPR and When the person is USC.

It's amazing what five seconds of Googling can reveal. You guys should try it sometimes. This is from the US Department of State:

http://travel.state.gov/family/adoption/info/info_455.html