Adjustment Of Status.

DRX

Registered Users (C)
I am living in the U.S. and Im on a H1B visa and I want to become a permanant residant but how long does it take from when I start to adjust my status until I become a permanant residant?

Last edited by a moderator:
It depends on your work experience, education, country of birth. No one can answer w/o these info.

Well Im a computer programmer and I've been working for 4 years. 3 of those years in the US.

Since you did not tell where you were born and education, all I can say is 1.5 years to 6+ years.

You'll fall into EB3 worldwide which the cut-off date is Oct 2001 for.
It'll take a few years at the current processing speed, unless favorable immigration bill gets passed.

You will first need to get a Labor Certificate, which in itself will take anywhere between 2 months to 8 months for the whole process.
Then the second stage (I-140) will take anywhere between 3 months to 6 months at the current processing speed.
Once that is done, you will have to wait until the priority date for EB3-worldwide becomes current. Your priority date is the date you apply for your labor certificate. So unless you start the process now, you will be left far behind. Might take at least 4 years at the current speed.

DRX said:
I was born in Ireland and I have a bachelors degree in computer science