Adjustment of Status Question

Moneer81

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I have a quick question about adjustment of status through a relative. I went through the process before but I am not sure about my friend's situation. He is married, and they are both non-citizens. The wife's mother is in the process of getting her citizenship, she is expected to be a citizen sometime this fall. When this happen, can the daughter (who is about 25 years) apply for adjustment of status through her mom? And can the husband apply through his wife when she gets her green card? Or would the fact that she is married prevent her from applying for Adjustment of Status through her mom?

Thanks,

The wife's mother is in the process of getting her citizenship, she is expected to be a citizen sometime this fall. When this happen, can the daughter (who is about 25 years) apply for adjustment of status through her mom? And can the husband apply through his wife when she gets her green card? Or would the fact that she is married prevent her from applying for Adjustment of Status through her mom?

She can apply through her mother, in the FB3 category, and her spouse and children can get derivative GCs. It'll take several years.

Hi to all.
I have a question. If the person legally in US and he won DV lottery. So he needs to do AoS. What documents he needs to submit?
Thanks.

The wife's mother is in the process of getting her citizenship, she is expected to be a citizen sometime this fall. When this happen, can the daughter (who is about 25 years) apply for adjustment of status through her mom? And can the husband apply through his wife when she gets her green card?
They won't be able eligible to apply for adjustment of status until at least 8 or 9 years after the mother files for them, because of the long wait in the family-based 3rd preference category (married children of citizens). Both the husband and wife can file for AOS, only if they are legally in the US in several years when their time has come. Otherwise they'll need to pursue consular processing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but please start a different thread, as the DV lottery is a very different situation that what this thread is about.