address change

neeru74

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
I am new to this forum and have a question about address change.

My husband is a US citizen and we filed for I-130, 485 etc. Our local office is San Antonio. Today I got my FP notice for dec. In dec, we will be moving to Dallas,

So my question is- should I change my address with UCIS or leave my address the same? I was thinking of moving to Dallas but not giving up my apt in San Antonio. I heard somewhere that my file may be shifted from San Antonio to Dallas and in the process, the files may be lost or the process abandoned. Can anybody please give me ideas on what we should go come dec?

Thank you.

Are you applying for EAD too? If that so, then the best thing is to wait. Because probably everything about it will be send to your old address. If you move after/during the FP that won't be enough time - I think- to get the change of address in the system of the unit that takes care of the EAD's (they are produce in Kentucky). After you received your EAD I think since it takes time for the rest (interview) probably is pretty safe to move. Now San Antonio office is one of the fastest so the only bad thing is that if you move, your case will be transfer to Dallas, that apparently is taking long time.
That is just my way of looking at your question, probably if you have somebody that can take care of your mail in San Antonio, then after you received all that then would be good to change address.
Good luck,

Hello Cherr1980,

Thanks for your reply. We have only applied for I-485 and I-130, nothing else (no EAD or AP). How do we get estimates on how long it will take from the FP notice to the interview (San Antonio)? If it is 2-3 months, then we can probably keep the apartment until the whole process is over.

Thank you.

San Antonio is fast. If your fp is cleared before your interview date you will get your GC quick. A lot of times transferring cases takes a long time, files get stuck/lost and you will not be able to get status. I would recommend keeping the apt.

Then your case is pretty easy. Better wait or if you can keep the apartment better. Not all cases get lost, but the point here is to get your green card sooner.
Good luck,