Address Change (Urgent)

Jawan1

Banned
I have filled my I-485/AP/EAD with current address. I have got all the reciepts and fingerprinting notice to my current address(present). But @ a 18 months ago I moved to this current location.

Do I need to file AR-11 ? If I filled AR-11 now is that like inviting trouble ? My wife's H4 I-94 was filled from old address which is valid till 2003, but we have got all the above (485/ap/fp) with current address since we mentioned cuurent address while filling for AOS. IS this alright or I need to file AR-11.

you're OK

You don't need to file AR-11 since 485 is from the current address. See another discussion on this topic for details.

Rajiv Khanna is saying I should file Ar-11 even if the move was 18 months ago and I-485/EAD/AP/FP has current address.

I don't understand this, also on the other thread INS spokperson says it is not retroactive.

I guess if it's not going to hurt to file AR-11 , I don't see why you shouldn't file it but what I don't know is , if we filled AR-11 whether they will hold it againsts you that why you didn't file it within 10 days ?

AR-11

I haven't read Rajiv's reply, and make sure it was before the spokesperson came out and said "it is not retroactive".

Look at these points:

1. It is not retroactive:

So, that already says that you don't have to.

2. What INS needs to know is where you are now. That is already conveyed by 485. Even if you file AR-11, what INS is going to get? THe same address, but they already have it. Only now onwards they would like to know where you move.

Hey Im007, thanks for replying. Please see the reply I got from Rajiv to my email, today
------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Rajiv S. Khanna" <rskhanna@immigration.com>

Subject :
Re: Address Change

Date :
Thu, 01 Aug 2002 13:03:30 -0400

In my opinion you should file AR-11.

At 11:14 AM 8/1/2002 -0400, you wrote:

Dear Khannaji-

I have filled my I-485/AP/EAD with current address. I have got all the reciepts and fingerprinting notice to my current address(present). But @ a 18 months ago I moved to this current location.

Do I need to file AR-11 ? If I filled AR-11 now is that like inviting trouble ? My wife's H4 I-94 was filled from old address which is valid till 2003, but we have got all the above (485/ap/fp) with current address since we mentioned cuurent address while filling for AOS. IS this alright or I need to file AR-11.

address

This is like AC21, you may interpret according to your views.

For argument sake, as a rule, AR-11 should be filed within 10 days of move. Now, how the INS is going to view this if it was more than 10 days? Didn't you break the law by not informing within 10 days? Think how many knew about AR-11 before the deportatino incident? That's why "It is not retroactive" came up.

On the contrary, AR-11 does not require the dates when you moved, so it is a question how they will know when actually you moved (unless there is an inquiry, and asked for a proof).

Well, if you want to take a safe approach, there is nothing wrong in filing AR-11. Send it by certified mail, as there is already a pile of AR-11s in INS mail room, and it is increasing day by day, so who knows when yours will be picked up, but again, if it is, you will be safe.

Hello Immi007

Mine is not AC21, I have been working for the same employer just different location and hence I had to change address.

OK the argument here is, INS has current address but AR-11 is sent to washington.

In the worst case if I filled AR-11 there should not be any problem ? As far as INS, VSC ( AOS) application is concerned, if they get this information my current address is already with them.

Only thing I am worried about is whether they hold it againsts you that u failed to inform whithin 10 days.

Please reply me immidiately, I am going on vacation tomarrow.

if need to file it, i will file it tomarrow and leave.

No, no, I'm not saying you're under AC21. I am just saying that this matter is as unclear as AC21 regulations.

Anyway, as said earlier, it is not going to make a big harm, and it is doubtful they will held this against you. The biggest help is the 485 with the current address. SO, there is not a big negative here. From your postings, it seems that if you file, it will give you a good night sleep. So, go ahead, file, and enjoy the vacation! (and even if you don't file, don't think about this during vacation!)

I filed AR-11 last week

I filed AR-11 a week ago even though I moved to the current address 2 yrs ago. Filed 485 last yr, so TSC must have my current address. But, the lawyer suggested that it is better to send AR-11. So, we sent AR-11 for my spouse, myself and child.