Address change questions, please help

Kaiya

Registered Users (C)
As my I-485 (NIW) is pending, I thought of something that worries me to headache - my address change record with the INS. Here is my situation:

I am a University postdoc. The first year I was in this city, I lived in a friend's house, that was when I filed my I-140.

Then I moved out to an apartment. I filed form AR-11 to update my address with the INS at that time. During that time, I filed I-485.

Six months later, I moved to another apt. Worrying that any correspondence from the INS to me may be lost in the mail, which happens more often to apt renters than house owners, and more often to frequent movers than stable addresss, I filed a new AR-11, BUT with the new address being my friend's house address instead of my new physical residence. Also I called to "update" my address for my I-140 and I-485. During this time, actually just a few weeks ago, my I-140 was approved.

A few days ago I just moved into yet another apartment, still in the same town. I am worried what I should do with my address change. Should I file AR-11 and give the true address? If I file, I will have to put in the friend's address as the previous one, which was a lie in my previous AR-11.

Will FBI find my addresses in the INS record inconsistent with my rental history and cause trouble in my I-485? I am so worried.

Any advice and information on similar or related cases will be appreciated. Thank you very much.

Very worried, Kaiya

Hi Kaiya,

With a few AR-11s already on record, if permitted by the USCIS, you may consider of having a PO Box with USPS, till clearance of GC and after. This way it would keep your mails in one place, while you enjoy the privilege of moving from post to post.

http://www.usps.com/receive/businesssolutions/poboxrentals.htm?from=0001home&page=poboxrentals#fee

Check it out with USCIS and file a final AR-11. I dont think FBI or others would bother you, unless you put your foot in the wrong place.

Consult your Attorney too.

Good luck.

DIGS
EB3, India

Thanks. But PO Box is just a mailing address

DIGS said:
Hi Kaiya,

With a few AR-11s already on record, if permitted by the USCIS, you may consider of having a PO Box with USPS, till clearance of GC and after. This way it would keep your mails in one place, while you enjoy the privilege of moving from post to post.

http://www.usps.com/receive/businesssolutions/poboxrentals.htm?from=0001home&page=poboxrentals#fee

Check it out with USCIS and file a final AR-11. I dont think FBI or others would bother you, unless you put your foot in the wrong place.

Consult your Attorney too.

Good luck.

DIGS
EB3, India

Shouldn't I submit my residence address in the AR-11? Do you mean I can change my I-485 address with the INS to the PO Box?

I talked with my attorney on the phone before and I was told I can not have a mailing address AND a residence address, that is, the INS notices will be sent to whatever my residence address is. In fact, my attorney said they can use my friend's address or whatever I told them as my mailing address, but on the I-485 form, I must put down my real physical address.

That's why I decided to use my friend's address as my residence address, otherwise I would just have used their address as my mailing address instead of lying in the AR-11 form.

Hi Kaiya,

From all the movements and changes, one thing that sticks is that the current address on record is the one of your friends. Although it may be difficult to predict the receipt of your 485 approval notice, in the short term it may be better to follow the Attorney's advice. On a long term also it is better to avoid any further changes and in case of related query, hold your attorney responsible for the legal advice and urge to bail you out.

BTW, also hold on to your good friend till 485 approval.

Good luck.

DIGS
EB3, India