Address change - My case is in a mess. please help.

Nathang

Registered Users (C)
Hello Gurus

Please read my case and throw your advise / suggestion, as I am really confursed what to do.

I believe an enquiry from my attorney's office with my old address has created a mess in my case.

I was living in address “A” till Jan'03. But I never mentioned this address in any of my INS related forms. Only my lawyer used to send some information to me to this address, like medical forms etc.. for 485.

For all I-485 purposes, I had given my friend’s address - say address “B”. Since then, I am receiving all correspondence from USCIS regarding, my first and second FP, first and second AP, my EAD to this address.

On October 28, 2004, USCIS has replied to my attorney's enquiry and sent a reply to the address, “A” which was returned by the post office and sent back to USCIS on Nov 2, 2004.

On Nov 17, USCIS has sent out another letter to address “B” enclosing their previous letter dated Oct 28’04 and the returned envelope saying, they have received a change of address request and the request has been updated and asked me to file AR-11,.

My friend while faxing the above letter did not fax me the Oct 28,04 dated letter and hence we could not know the exact reason for USCIS asking AR-11.

Meanwhile, On October 27th I have requested a senator’s enquiry in which I have mentioned my current residence address - say address “C”. For your information in Jan 2003, I have mailed the AR-11 for address change from “A” to “C”.

We presumed, Nov 17th letter requesting AR-11 from USCIS was due to my senator’s enquiry with address “C”. and as advised by my attorney, on 11/30 I have mailed the AR-11 effecting change of address from my correspondence address “B” to my current residence address ”C”. (Actually I never lived in address “B”)

Today I came to know that address change request was not due to senator's enquiry, its due to my great attorney's office mistake.

As per email from CSC on Nov 3rd, my case is in line for adjudication, meanwhile this has happend.

Hope I have explained my situation clearly to you. Now please tell me where am I standing at USCIS in terms of address change issue. What would the impact on my case due to this development.

140_ RD- Jun2002
First FP - Dec 2002 for me and spouse
I-140- AD- Jan2003 (with 3 RFE's in 6 months)
I-485 -RD-OCT2002
First FP - Dece 2002
Spuse second FP - Sept 10, 04
my second FP - Oct 28,2004
Oct 28,2004, USCIS sent reply to my attorney's enquiry to my old address and returned back
Got an email on Nov 3 from CSC saying my case is in line for adjudication with the adjudication officer. please allow sufficient time.
LUD - Nov 3, - FP results received
Nov4, 04 ( both me and spouse)
Senator letter on Nov 5
LUD on Nov 18, status disappeared from the system
Nov 17, receive a letter to send AR-11 for request of change of address.
Nov 22, called CSC emergency number
LUD on 11/24
Nov 29, got a call back from CSC emergency saying it vll b adjuducated in 60 days
LUD on 11/29, 11/30

I don't understand why your not just using your "real" address. USCIS gets screwed up enough with just that info, not you've given them 3 addresses and never filed an AR-11, nor have you even informed them to change your address on your I-485 and other applications. They are just going to randomly select any of the 3 addresses and send to any one they feel like now.

I went through this, but my address change was legitimate, unlike yours, and they were all declared to USCIS for all the pending applications. Still they managed to send to the wrong address.

I sent an AR-11 by registed mail.
I called the service center back in early 2003 when you could still do that.
I faxed the service center directly.
I visited the local office.
I called the 1-800 number.
My old lawyer sent a fax to the service center and the local office.
My new lawyer sent a fax to the service center, and the local office.
I visited the local office a second time.
My new lawyer met with the director of the local office.

None of these steps corrected my address in all the different places that they store your address in their systems. Don't mess around with this stuff, since they are so disorganized they can't even fix it if they break it themselves!

Bottom line, pick an address, YOURS, not your friend's, and make sure you use that from now on.
Good luck.

Hey, don't worry. I had exact same situation changing over from a to b to c within a very short span of time. I did have fear of losing communication but as long as u have updated attorneys office with your valid address and requested postal dept to forward mails you should be fine..
In my case, the same thing happened.. The approval notice comes in duplicate, one will be sent to attorneys office who filed for your I-485 on your behalf and a courtesey copy 797C will be sent to you to your residence. Now if you have changed address, it will get returned to USCIS and they'll resend you with the original envelope.. No problems..
If your I-485 gets adjudicated (watch for uscis.gov to monitor your case) and when it updates to 'Approved' go ahead and ask your attorneys office to mail (fedex) you the original 797 copy to your current new address C so that you can take that and go for passport stamping to your local INS office..

Let me know if you have further concerns.. I've sailed in the same boat very recently.

As mentioned above, it is not really a done to to play around musical chairs with your address, specially where INS is concerned. And I am not entirely sure if you are aware that AR 11 has to be filed EVERYTIME you move, and NOT if you change your address on file from a place you have never stayed. This causes huge amounts of confusion and the way I see it you will probably run into a problem with the state department and not INS with your abuse of the AR 11.

You should never have filed AR 11 from B to C, since you never stayed at B. here are the scenarios:
1. So on your file now "IF" you filed AR 11 to move from A to C, you have stayed at both A and B or B and C at the same time.
2. If you did not file AR 11 upon your change in address from A to C, then the state department is going to be very surprised to hear that you moved from B to C when there is no record of you moving from A to B.

These are not issues you deal with at your whim, there is a law and a process that you need to follow. Please keep in mind that AR 11 and address change for INS correspondence are two totally different things. They may be run by the same agency (in this case INS) but in effect they are going to two seperate data bases.

Action to be taken:
1. Call the 1800 number and ensure that the address on file with INS is your CURRENT mailing address.
2. Forget about the outcome of the AR 11 fiasco for now since you have screwed that up beyond recognition, all you can do is hope that those records are never really read, and you don't come from a specially designated country or your name doesn't resonate with a person on their "bad" people list.
3. Just ensure that you file an AR 11 EVERYTIME you move physically, within 10 days of the move, in the future.

Good luck!

Hello Daffodils,

thanks for replying to my case. I shall take care as per your advise. only problem is if the approval letter goes to address "A". as u said, attorney should get one.

Curiousgeorge,

everything was legal, nothing was illegal. I did file AR-11 when I moved from A to C, and I do have a proof. the reason I had to do was, due to change of apartments, I decided to give my firends address for all I-485 related corress. I never thought this lawyer's office will communicate with old address and create confusion.

I am worried whether the approval goes to address "B" or "C". only it should not go to "A".

I haven't read the messages above since they are too long.

But one thing. You don't need to worry now. All the Original notice will go to Attorney also. so you can collect his copy for PP stamping.

but Make sure you have right address before they sent the GC card. Card is always sent directly to the Applicatnt

Thank you 140_takes_4ever for your detailed reply.

I fully agree that i should not have filed AR-11 from B to c, but given the situation and circumstances, that was the only choice. when i came to know the whole episode, I regret it..

in anycase, I am meeting my attorney today to solve the issue, let me make sure he calls the INS customer service in front of me and send the correct address.

thanks

Dear Friends,

I met with my attorney and he says " nothing to worry" ofcourse there is a confusion. sit tight and hope for the better.

This is his version, "" I dont say there will not a problem, but the chances are remote. I dont say your case will not get delayed, but chances are remote. USCIS might get confused with the addresses, in such case, they might asked to come to the local office and I promise you that I will come to INS office with you. for most of the time, they might take the latest AR-11 and proceed with the processing - so sit tight and hope for the best"

I was kind of convinced, that I could do nothing now. one thing surprised was, he never regreted the mistake his office has done or said sorry... these guys dont accept their mistake.

140_ RD- Jun2002
First FP - Dec 2002 for me and spouse
I-140- AD- Jan2003 (with 3 RFE's in 6 months)
I-485 -RD-OCT2002
First FP - Dece 2002
Spuse second FP - Sept 10, 04
my second FP - Oct 28,2004
Oct 28,2004, USCIS sent reply to my attorney's enquiry to my old address and returned back
Got an email on Nov 3 from CSC saying my case is in line for adjudication with the adjudication officer. please allow sufficient time.
LUD - Nov 3, - FP results received
Nov4, 04 ( both me and spouse)
Senator letter on Nov 5
LUD on Nov 18, status disappeared from the system
Nov 17, receive a letter to send AR-11 for request of change of address.
Nov 22, called CSC emergency number
LUD on 11/24
Nov 29, got a call back from CSC emergency saying it vll b adjuducated in 60 days
LUD on 11/29, 11/30
12/1 mailed AR-11 with my current address.

Even now my case is not appearing online.

AR-11 has nothing to do with the address on your applications. AR-11 is your legal responsability to update USCIS of your change of address. This in no way implies that they will change your address on your pending applications, and in fact, they will NOt update your address just from an AR-11.

Where USCIS may get confused with your addresses is the differnce between the address that the senator gave, and the address that your lawyer used, and the original address on the forms.

Thanks Curiousgeorge for your reply. so you advise me to call the CSC and advise them about the address change?

will they ask about my previous address anychance?? whats people's experience in this forum?

pls share