Address change, gurus pl. HELP!!!

madha

Registered Users (C)
hi

we applied 1-485 recently RD:1/12/2002 ND:1/15/2002
FP location: san jose

my problem is that we have to change apartment, and we are planning to move to fremont(fp location would be oakland).

my questions are:
1. do you see any problem in moving from san jose to fremont?(as fp location will change from san jose to oakland)
2. how should notify INS about my change in address?
3. how long does it going to take for INS to update my address, i don\'t want them to send fp notice to wrong address.

any help is greatly appreciated
thanks

There should not be any problem in moving to Fremont

Step1: Ask lawyer to fax a change of address form to INS (CSC).
Step2: Give a change of address form to Post Office.
Step3: After about a week, call up IIO and confirm that the change of address has been done in their system. Phone 949-831-8427. Press 0 when prompted. YOu may have to keep dialing for a long time to get through.

However, please note that even after step 3 (confirmed that address has been changed in INS system), there is no guarantee that INS will send mail to the correct address. My friend just got approved. He moved after his FP was done. His approval notice came to the correct address, but his wife\'s went to the old address. That is INS for you.
It would be great if you know the person staying at your old place, so he can h/o your mail to you.
soi