adding dependent after green card

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
Hello

I am a recent GC holder.

I am planning to marry a f1/ h1b visa holder already in the US.
Wondering how long woudl it take for them to get the green card as my dependent.

Is it easy to get it with the employer or as a dependent timewise?

I heard about DORA a program in dallas which does rapid processing of addition of dependent, any ideas if that might be implemented everywhere or if that program still exists?

thanks for info
Harsha

harsha_c said:
I am a recent GC holder. I am planning to marry a f1/ h1b visa holder already in the US. Wondering how long woudl it take for them to get the green card as my dependent.

It is imposslbe to add them as your "dependent", since they were not your spouse at the time your GC was granted. You'll need to sponsor your spouse as FB2, which will take 5 years for the PD to become current.

me in the same boat

Hi,

I am in a similar situation as Harsha.

My spouse was not part of my GC application when I applied. I got GC recently.

My spouse has also filed for GC through her employer and she is in I-485 stage (EB3).

some of my friends suggested that she might get GC quicker if I file a I-485 for her now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Tundra123 said:
Hi,

I am in a similar situation as Harsha.

My spouse was not part of my GC application when I applied. I got GC recently.

My spouse has also filed for GC through her employer and she is in I-485 stage (EB3).

some of my friends suggested that she might get GC quicker if I file a I-485 for her now. Any suggestions?

Thanks

I guess your situation is different. If you were married before your GC approval, then she can apply for I-485 as your dependent provided your PD is current. If you were EB1 or EB2 category, that can help you.

On the other hand, if you were married after your GC approval, then her I-485 through her employer is faster route.

Gc

I guess the best thing would be to apply GC separately in a state that processes it faster

or

get h1 and be on it till I become citizen and then add it

thanks
Harsha

Thanks

Hi Pralay,

Thanks for the info. Mine is EB2 and my PD is current.

Can someone direct me to a site regarding how to apply for I-485?

Thanks

Tundra123 said:
Thanks for the info. Mine is EB2 and my PD is current. Can someone direct me to a site regarding how to apply for I-485?

If your spouse already has an I-485 pending, there is no need to file another. She need only amend her I-485 to change the category to dependent of beneficiary of an approved I-485. She should submit a copy of her I-485 receipt, and your I-485 approval notice. In the letter, she should remind USCIS that under EB2 her priority date is current, and that they should immediately approve her I-485.

That'll save a lot of filing fees.