• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Activation trip, HowTo?

As a general observation, it’s better to start working and gaining US experience as soon as you can as it assists in your general US career, not to mention the various hassles eg filing with the IRS from abroad each year, delaying the start of your naturalization clock, etc, associated with living overseas while having a green card.

Should one declare to IRS also the earnings in its home country already taxed there?

Should one declare to IRS also the earnings in its home country already taxed there?

You need to declare all earnings to the irs from the day you become a green card holder. Generally you will not be liable for tax if you have already paid tax in the source-of-income country (assuming a tax treaty exists) unless there are particular circumstances such as very high income or capital gains with large tax rate differences. For the vast majority of green card holders there is no or very little tax owing to the irs on already taxed foreign income, but you must declare it and file a return.

You need to declare all earnings to the irs from the day you become a green card holder. Generally you will not be liable for tax if you have already paid tax in the source-of-income country (assuming a tax treaty exists) unless there are particular circumstances such as very high income or capital gains with large tax rate differences. For the vast majority of green card holders there is no or very little tax owing to the irs on already taxed foreign income, but you must declare it and file a return.

I have a doubt. What is exactly the day you become a green card holder? Is the day you land the first time or the day you receive your physical green card?

I ask this because my temporary visa expires in the first days of 2019. I was thinking of coming at the end of 2018 but now I'm worried that if I start to become a green card holder in the year 2018, then I must fill the tax module in 2019 for the fiscal year 2018 (for the income of... the last few days of 2018? or all the year?). If I start to become a green card holder in the first days of 2019, I should only fill the module in 2020 for the fiscal year 2019, isn't it?

Anyway, I have read you should declare to IRS also your bank account(s) in the home country. I hope they don't tax it. Does anyone know when this must be done?

I have a doubt. What is exactly the day you become a green card holder? Is the day you land the first time or the day you receive your physical green card?

I ask this because my temporary visa expires in the first days of 2019. I was thinking of coming at the end of 2018 but now I'm worried that if I start to become a green card holder in the year 2018, then I must fill the tax module in 2019 for the fiscal year 2018 (for the income of... the last few days of 2018? or all the year?). If I start to become a green card holder in the first days of 2019, I should only fill the module in 2020 for the fiscal year 2019, isn't it?

Anyway, I have read you should declare to IRS also your bank account(s) in the home country. I hope they don't tax it. Does anyone know when this must be done?

The day you land is when you become a green card holder - that’s why your immigrant visa immediately turns into a temporary green card. The plastic green card is just evidence of your status, it is does not determine your status.

We entered on 26 December the year we activated, it’s easy as pie because there is no way you are going to owe any tax for being a resident for 5 days of the year. If you are physically out of the US you can also file for an extension till October (I believe) for filing the actual tax return. And no, they don’t tax your bank accounts. You declare if you have more than $10k in them at any time during the year. The FBAR filing is due same time as the tax return but if you miss it there is an automatic 6-month extension, to 15 October,

I would be very careful about playing too close to the visa expiry at that time of year, the weather can play havoc with flights, and if your flight is cancelled due to weather (which at that time of year can easily take a week or more before you can get on another flight, I’ve seen this happen) and you miss the visa expiry as a result of it, too bad for you, you’ve lost your chance.

Yes you must declare tax records even if you are overseas and owe them nothing. The IRS probably should do a better job educating people on that but good luck telling them that. If you don't file they will (usually) fine you, and I believe it is $205. If you actually owe them money then they get a lot more vicious.

Hi all
Sorry, I have another doubt, of course always regarding my activation trip.

Does it matter which US state you choose for landing? That is the state of your first temporary residence (which of course will be an hotel for an activation trip)
Is a problem if it is not the same state where you'll come to live when returning the second time?
Could be a problem if the mail address is in a different state respect to the residency address state?

Thanks

Hi all
Sorry, I have another doubt, of course always regarding my activation trip.

Does it matter which US state you choose for landing? That is the state of your first temporary residence (which of course will be an hotel for an activation trip)
Is a problem if it is not the same state where you'll come to live when returning the second time?
Could be a problem if the mail address is in a different state respect to the residency address state?

Thanks
Any state is find to first enter. Some people move right after

Sidebar... Do you really wanna move to the US? You sound as though you are doing well for yourself in whatever country you currently reside in .

I remember growing up being so poor some days we wouldnt eat. Whilst knowing others that were rich . When we got an oppotunity to migrate to the US it was a blessing and the best thing that ever happened to US . Whilst the people that do good for themselves you couldnt pay them to come live in the US. Seems as though you havent made up your mind yet which simply means “youre doing good” anyways GL

Sidebar... Do you really wanna move to the US? You sound as though you are doing well for yourself in whatever country you currently reside in .

I remember growing up being so poor some days we wouldnt eat. Whilst knowing others that were rich . When we got an oppotunity to migrate to the US it was a blessing and the best thing that ever happened to US . Whilst the people that do good for themselves you couldnt pay them to come live in the US. Seems as though you havent made up your mind yet which simply means “youre doing good” anyways GL
People have many different motivations to want to move to the US. You don’t have to be poor to think it’s a good move.

People have many different motivations to want to move to the US. You don’t have to be poor to think it’s a good move.
I get that !! I really do That was just our main reason for coming here. Maybe im just taking it the wrong way . He doesnt seem too excited about the move thats all. My apologies if my interpretation is wrong about his situation.

I get that !! I really do That was just our main reason for coming here. Maybe im just taking it the wrong way . He doesnt seem too excited about the move thats all. My apologies if my interpretation is wrong about his situation.
I just don’t really see that it’s our function to give people unsolicited advice/lectures about whether or not they’re doing the right thing. If people are posting from that point of view and asking opinions, it’s one thing. If they’re just asking factual info, unless there is something important that they clearly don’t see or understand, I’d stick to largely answering the questions.

Incidentally partly because of my line of work I know a number of people who were doing very well indeed “back home”. Many are proof that if you do well back home, you can also do very well indeed in the US. No, it’s not for everyone, but I don’t think it’s up to us to sit here and judge people on their motivations.

Well, I was only clarifying the technicalities here.
Strange that this could seem as though I'm not properly motivated.

But you are right, I'm doing quite good in my home country too. No so really good, but quite good. Maybe if I had really nothing to lose my approach would be different... maybe I'd take the first available plane to whatever place in US shouting "I love you America" when arriving. :)

That said, I will become a US citizen one day... no turning back.