• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Activation of Green Card and Coronavirus

We were going to activate our green card next month, but with all this coronavirus stuff going on I hope we are still able to. What happens if you can't activate your visa before the medical expiry? Can you just do the medical again? Or will we lose our visa? I am wondering if we should do a quick activation trip now just in case things get worse.

The expiration date on your visa determines how long you can wait before entering the US. Medical expiry date was already taken into consideration when the IV was issued.

We were wondering the same thing. We have flights booked for April 4th but figured if there is a travel ban immigration would probably say "too bad, should have left sooner".

So Trump just announced a ban on all travel to the US from Europe for 30 days starting this Friday. I believe US citizens can still travel back to the US, so I wonder if green card holders can get in still.

Just not those trying to activate their visa. Hopefully they don't ban travel from Aus to the US in the next 3 weeks.

Just not those trying to activate their visa. Hopefully they don't ban travel from Aus to the US in the next 3 weeks.

lts 14 days since being in schengen so there could be a workaround. Another reason to add to things like weather and plane delays, to not leave activating visas until the last few days.

PS as someone who used to watch the Aussie border security show regularly, i’d expect any ban more likely to be the opposite way round!

lts 14 days since being in schengen so there could be a workaround. Another reason to add to things like weather and plane delays, to not leave activating visas until the last few days.
Yes this is true. We did book our trip with a months buffer before our visa expired, however if anyone saw this coming I'd like to know what else they can predict.

Also yeah border force are brutal. Last time they confiscated a sealed packet of dog biscuits we bought from San Fran.

Last edited:
Yes this is true. We did book our trip with a months buffer before our visa expired, however if anyone saw this coming I'd like to know what else they can predict.
The whole point of a buffer is due to “unforeseen“ circumstances ;)
A month should generally be sufficient.

Hey @ExcitedAussie did you end up booking a quick activation trip? Or are you still waiting until next month?
We have decided to wait it out now. We have till the 9th of June to activate so will just be keeping an eye on things. If it looks like they are going to close the borders we may just do a quick trip to Hawaii to activate and fly home the same day. How about you guys?

Yeah we're the same. We've got until the 21st May to activate, but our trip is book for 3 weeks from now, so hopefully nothing changes until then. Thinking we might just do the same FIFO activation trip if they do crackdown in the next few weeks. Hope it works out for you guys :)

Yeah we're the same. We've got until the 21st May to activate, but our trip is book for 3 weeks from now, so hopefully nothing changes until then. Thinking we might just do the same FIFO activation trip if they do crackdown in the next few weeks. Hope it works out for you guys :)
Good idea! Good luck to you guys too! We might end up on the same flight! I will be the one in the face mask!