Activate EAD? Yes or No and How

sedcat66

Registered Users (C)
I just re-entered the country using Advance Parole. I have my H1 status(not visa) till April 2001. Is it necessary to activate my EAD card(Got it last year) to work in the same company? If so how do I do that.
Thanks

No Title

Ask for I9 form from the employer and fill it. Once you entered the country in Advance parol you need to use EAD to work.

No Title

i have similar situation. do you have hard time when you re-enter through the border? what question the border officer asked you? thanks.

No Title

No. you don\'t need EAD. your H1 status is still valid if you work in the same company.
 I have exactly same situation as you and I asked lawyer.

look web site: www.immigraion-law.com under AP+EAD+H1B subject

No Title

wrong...if your H1 status has not expired you can continue to use H1 instead of EAD.Also you don\'t need parole to enter US.

No Title

Why didn\'t you take into consideration that he already used AP to re-enter. According to my understanding of the rules, using an AP to travel outside the country voids the H1 status. Now even though he/she has valid H1 stamp in hand, it is not valid since he/she used AP. Am I right ? Anybody ?

No Title

To My knowledge even if you use AP your H1 status still remains in place and dosen\'t void it. I am pretty sure coz know somebody who has used AP to enter but is still using his H1 since he dosen\'t have a EAD and still has 18 month left on second H1.

No Title

I have just spoken to my lawyer in this matter and he says H1 is still valid if it has not expired.You can continue to work on H1.

No Title

sedcat66,

Could you post your experience at port of entry please ?
Like which documents they(INS) have asked you to show etc..
I am in the same situation going on AP without EAD my lawyer says it is fine as long as I have valid H1B1 approval. Appreciate your response.

No Title

Don\'t believe this DesiAmerican. He always post about somebody\'s case.

H1 is valid as long as you don\'t use your EAD/AP. What is in your I-94? If it is in parole status. You may have to change your status with INS.

You better consult with your lawyer.

No Title

Hi Many of you have posted to some extent I think right answers. But let me share my understanding.
1. If u use AP and have valid H1B petition(not visa) your I-94 says parole, which means you are in parole status. To reinstante H1B status I think you may have to apply for change of status with INS. Not sure can someone through somelight on this.

No Title

i140, What is in your I-94? Did you ever used EAD and/or AP?

You can be on H1 status as long as you don\'t use EAD/AP. Even you can extend H1 if it is expired (after getting EAD). That\'s what I did.

BTW, Check I94. You can find your status.