AC21: Switched to my own company.

shurag

My previous employer applied for my Green Card and my I-140 is approved. I incorporated and moved to my own company after 9 months of filing I-485. I am doing the SAME job as before but I am working for my company now ( C-Corp). I am scheduled for an interview in Jan 2005 and I am asked to bring all the docs that they cud ask for. My question is that am I in a risk category by working for myself? My previous employer cud give me a future employement offer letter as I am maintaining good relations with them. Do u think I would be fine or do I have to take an attorney with me. Any speculations as to what could be the complications? I have spoken to 2 attorneys so far and each has given me totally different opinion. One says that u r absolutely fine and the other says that I cannot work for my own company. Now I am looking for more attorney opinions as well as seeking advice on ur forum. I havent filed AC21 yet. Please help!
Please advice soon as I am really tensed!

Hi.

Hi,

You should be fine - you're allowed to work for your own company. However, there are enough immigration officers/agents that are not very knowledgeable, especially when it comes to out-of-the-ordinary cases like yours.

Even though legally you're fine, I would take a lawyer along with me to the interview if I were you.

Good luck!

I agree with United Nations.

YOu can have your own business with EAD card but you should be also working full time for a employer (seperate entity) for AOS approval

United Nations - I know as per guideliens for labor, a immediate relative cannot apply for a LC. Are you aware of any restrcitions on joining a immediate realtive company using AC21 (as an salaried employee).

That is exactly my concern. I am aware that my own company or my immediate relative cannot file for my Green Card unless I have a US Citizen who provides an affidavit of support. But I want to know that if I swtich to my own company basically owned by my wife, do I still hold good for AC21? Please note here that my previous employer filed for my GC and I140 approved and I changed company after 9 months of filing I-485. DO u still think I could be in a risk catergory?

My case is approved

Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know that my case is approved. I had been through lot of anxiety and stress but believe me it was like a piece of cake for us. No questions asked, nothing really checked. We got our stamping in like 10 minutes. The gentleman just collected all the papers and was wondering why are such starightforward cases transferred for interviews. Mine was a AC21 case. So my advice is just get all the documents in order and get your medicals re-done before interview and take new pictures ( front facing) and relax. Unless u have done anything wrong, there is no point in going thru all the stress that I went thru. Good luck to all!

shurag said:
Hi,

I just wanted to let you all know that my case is approved. I had been through lot of anxiety and stress but believe me it was like a piece of cake for us. No questions asked, nothing really checked. We got our stamping in like 10 minutes. The gentleman just collected all the papers and was wondering why are such starightforward cases transferred for interviews. Mine was a AC21 case. So my advice is just get all the documents in order and get your medicals re-done before interview and take new pictures ( front facing) and relax. Unless u have done anything wrong, there is no point in going thru all the stress that I went thru. Good luck to all!

congratulations!

You are lucky one they did not verify much. But there were couple of cases which were rejected one Chicago and another one at Baltimore on this base.
Whatever UN said about this issue still holds good. Bottom line is Never take USCIS error as regular practice.