AC21 after I-485 Approved ?

desi929

Registered Users (C)
Hello --

Just wondering, do we have to file for AC-21 if my I-485 has been approved and my passport stamped. So bascially at this time, I am just waiting on my plastic card.

Is there anything that I need to do if I change my employer as soon as my passport is stamped ?

Thanks !!

I had the same question.
From some of the other posts, I think it would be a good idea to wait for another 6 months after getting I-485 approval .

It would be helpful during the time of citizenship.
but then a lot of people have left their employer immediately after getting I-485.

Another thing - there is no concept of AC-21 after I-485. You can change employer freely.

experts please comment...

The premise of filing for 485 is that, you INTEND to work with the sponsoring employer (or a new one using AC21) AFTER getting the 485 approved.

If you quit soon after getting approval, it can become an issue down the road.

It would be wise to wait for 6 to 9 months as the other poster mentioned.

Having said that, I've not heard of a real case where this has become an issue -- so you can decide on the basis of the amount of risk you are willing to take :)

how would USCIS will come to know if the applicant worked for the sponsorer for atleast 6 month., provide the sponsorer didnt complain to USCIS of itent to fraud.

It could come up when applying for citizenship -- theres an interview involved when applying for it.

max2k1,

Can you give us more information about the real case that you have heard. Did that problem got resolved?

Apart from common assumption of 6 months, are there any other valid reasons to switch jobs?

eeshwar said:
max2k1,

Can you give us more information about the real case that you have heard. Did that problem got resolved?

Apart from common assumption of 6 months, are there any other valid reasons to switch jobs?
I said "I have NOT heard of a real case" :)

Its more like common wisdom (folklore) about this 6 to 9 months thing.

There were hundreds of posts (and heated debates) on this forum in the past about this issue. Also, murthy has written few articles on this topic. Basically, there is a certain amount of risk if you do it, only you can decide if it is worth it.

Last edited by a moderator:
eeshwar,

Did you try posting your question in the citizenship forum? Thats when it would come up and so you might get good idea of what kind of stuff gets asked during naturalization interview and whether changing jobs soon after GC is ever an issue etc.
Just an idea..:)

Bharad1