AC21 - 180 days rule job change - suggestion/advice please

venba

Hi Folks,
I am a consultant in the I485 stage (RD/PD 21aug01). My client is closing shop by end of this month and my consulting company said that they would not pay me/ or let me go if I do not get another assignment by next month.
Currently I got an excellent offer from a very reputed fortune 1000 company.
But the issue is they are not willing to do a contract to hire as the company policy warrants them to go to only specific vendors for contract. So they are asking me to use the AC21 180 days rule to work fulltime with them. They have given me end of next week to decide on the offer.
But the issue is I have not applied for my EAD (as I have a valid H1 till 2004). In fact my consulting company recommended me not to at the time of I485 application.
I am not sure if I can work for the new company without a EAD or a H1 even though my I485 has crossed 180 days in Feb 02.
Any suggestions/advice ?

thanks

You should need an EAD or H1-B

You should need an EAD to join another company or have that company sponsor H1-B visa. u can do premium processing and start working immediately as soon as you apply for the visa. But you need to wait for EAD if you decide to apply for EAD.

U may also want to check you local INS to get EAD. If they accept, it is one day job. Good Luck.

EAD in one day

Hi,

I am in a similar situation. It has been 180 dayssince my RD(Oct30 2001) but I dont have EAD. Can you tell me how to get an EAD in one day?

Jay

Some local INS centers will give EAD based on I-485 receipt notice.

I know Boston local INS office does this, I don\'t know about other local INS centers. Now a days EAD is taking less than 60 days.

Apply for a EAD at the Service Center

EAD\'s for the EB Categories can be applied at the service center by filing a simple form I-765 with the $125.00 Check , along with a copy of the I-485 Receipt . The Only Local INS Office I am aware of which issues EAD\'s in one day is Boston Local INS , all others need to apply at the service center . One can expect a EAD in 60 -90 Days.

Also your company can subcontract for a 3 months contract to hire with one of the Prefered Vendors of Fortune 1000 company.

EAD OR H-1

Hi all, I am in a terrible dilemma whether to apply for EAD or renew my h-1 visa. What is ur best advice since the place where I work for is willing to go for either of them, the good thing is they are willing to renew h-1 for another three years as three years of being on h-1 are over, PLEASE HELP ME AS I HAVE LITTLE TIME TO DECIDE ABOUT THIS. I AM WAITING FOR FINGERPRINTING WHICH SEEMS TO BE LIKE AGES. APPLIED TO TSC THE SLOWEST OF THE CENTERS. I HAVE NOT GOT THE FINGERPRINTING NOTICE SINCE THE PAST 8 MONTHS.

Hi anithar, Apply for Both (EAD and H1B) Double Edged!!

If you have the comfort of renewing the H1B with the same company, then do it immediately. Don\'t even think. You have the perfect comfort for the next 3 Years.

Also, apply for EAD and pay for it youself as the fees is not that big!! This will serve you to change to a new job (similar job duties and salary) if something happens (god forbid) to your position or your company. Hope that helps!!

AC21?

Can someone tell me where we can find the info for AC21 - 180 day
rule? I might get laid off soon.......

This is Terrific!!!!

I might get laid off with in 2 months from my client and my employer
might be having a bench period of 2 months and with that I will finish
7 months

One doesn\'t really have to....

complete 180 days before one can afford to get laid off (as per Shusterman\'s chat) because one has not changed their intent to work for the sponsoring employer.

If one unfortunately does get laid off

Mikhail, That is true only if INS did Not Decide/Adjudicate Before 180 days...

Safest bet is to wait until 180 days and then join the new employer.

What do you need to do when changing employers?

Do we need to notify INS or just change the jobs?