AC I-140 for Third Country Nationals

3235_chelsea

Registered Users (C)
Does anybody know if there are any counsular posts in this world that is accepting AC I-140 for Third Country Nationals(TCN)?
I am from Malaysia and the counsular post in Kuala Lumpur does not accept AC I-140 and has no plan of doing so.

2nd question; Usually, how long does it take from the time I file my I-824 to the time I get an interview for CP?
The situation is that I'm thinking of switching from I-485 to CP through NVS. My lawyer says it's not going to help a lot, but my back-of-the-envelop calculation puts CP with I-824 at around 1 year while I-485 is at 2.5 years if I'm lucky.

I filed I-485/I140 concurrently at Nebraska SC.
My RD is 10/01/03
My I-140 is under professional/skilled worker

Thanks!

3235_chelsea:

Does anybody know if there are any counsular posts in this world that is accepting AC I-140 for Third Country Nationals(TCN)?
Answer: Not aware but will investigate and wait for others to respond. Read this article though:
http://www.murthy.com/UDjuarez.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I am from Malaysia and the counsular post in Kuala Lumpur does not accept AC I-140 and has no plan of doing so.
Answer: Sorry to hear that!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2nd question; Usually, how long does it take from the time I file my I-824 to the time I get an interview for CP?
Answer: ASsuming your optional consular post accepts AC I-140 then about 4 months from the time of filing your AC I-140 application with that consulate you can expect an interview.
If AC I-140 is not accepted @ Kuala Lumpur then time of I-824 approval which is taking little over 6 months at NSC plus 6-7 months for CP interview.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you kd1403!

I am aware of the situation in Ciudad Juarez, but I am doubtful the good ol' days will be back anytime soon.

I got the same timeframe when I did the math, but my lawyer cautioned against it citing the fact that National Visa Center can be as erratic and unreliable as NSC. Still, that's a difference of a year and a half. Does anybody know of considerable delays at NVC after I-824 is approved?

3235_chelsea :

I got the same timeframe when I did the math, but my lawyer cautioned against it citing the fact that National Visa Center can be as erratic and unreliable as NSC.
Answer: That is untrue!! NVC is regarded the best dept if one has to compare it to any of the service centers in terms of getting things done on time and responding to telephone calls! BTW..NVC is a seperate institution from any of the immigration department. NVC just does administrative work before files are sent to consulates for consular process interviews! And if yours is a AC I-140 case then there is no NVC in the picture...with that process the attorneys by passes NVC and aplpies directly at the consulate for an interview thus saving couple of months!

Still, that's a difference of a year and a half. Does anybody know of considerable delays at NVC after I-824 is approved?
Answer: You will find ocassional delays but I have come across only a few but that was due to misplaced files or error on the part of the CP candidate who provided incomplete documentation! So it is rare to see delays with NVC as you would with service centers!

CP in Malaysia

Hello Chelsea,

I'm not awared of AC-140 in other countries or even in m'sia.

BUT to answer the second part of your question, National Visa Center is definitely much more efficient than NSC. I had my GC in hand via CP a year ago and my friend who went the 485 route, whom started his GC process 5 months ahead of me are still waiting for his approval as of today.

Off course!, there's also risk in CP. During my interview, there were 1 or 2 people being denied or required to produced further info on their case. (I can;t remember the reason, please read my success post)

ONE thing for sure is that if you choose the CP route in Malaysia, MAKE SURE apply your Police Certification way ahead in time as the the Home ministry takes forever to process them. 6 to 12 weeks.

Hopes this helps.

TungFong

Re: CP in Malaysia

Yeah, I wrote the KL consular post a long email asking them to consider accepting AC I-140 or refer me to a consular post that does. And surprisingly, they are looking into it. It's been over 2 weeks now and they are still researching. I can only hope at this point.

It does seem that NVC is a lot more efficient than NSC, but I'm at 485 now, so if I switch to CP, I still need to deal with I-824 at NSC which is at a standstill since last year.

I'm not too worried about the risk of CP. The more I wait, the more the risks compound as long as I'm on AOS. I could lose my job anyday.

Here's my question. Did you get your PCC from Malaysian Consulate in NY or back home in KL? Which one is faster? Which one is easier? Can I apply at both places simultaneously?

Thanks.

Originally posted by TungFong
Hello Chelsea,

I'm not awared of AC-140 in other countries or even in m'sia.

BUT to answer the second part of your question, National Visa Center is definitely much more efficient than NSC. I had my GC in hand via CP a year ago and my friend who went the 485 route, whom started his GC process 5 months ahead of me are still waiting for his approval as of today.

Off course!, there's also risk in CP. During my interview, there were 1 or 2 people being denied or required to produced further info on their case. (I can;t remember the reason, please read my success post)

ONE thing for sure is that if you choose the CP route in Malaysia, MAKE SURE apply your Police Certification way ahead in time as the the Home ministry takes forever to process them. 6 to 12 weeks.

Hopes this helps.

TungFong

PCC from Malaysia

Chelsea,

It doesn;t really matters how you applied for PCC. I did the NY consulate route but then I ran into some personal problems and have to return home so I went to the Home ministry and did it. If you (or your family) go thru Home ministry it will be faster but like I said before, it'll be a month or two before anything happens.

I AM NOT A LAWYER or trying to give you any advice. But just my opinion.

IF you are afraid of losing your job, I would not go CP route at all, because if you started the CP route and you lose your job, everything will be lost. Cause it will still take time for your application to go thru the process. I would stick with 485 as you can always invoke the 180days rule. IF you alreadi started then there's nothing to do but to hope and pray. I don't think you can do thrid country anymore but it's good that KL US embassy is trying to help you out. It really depends.

All the best !

if you have further questions, just ask.

TungFong