Abroad Studying: Need Your Advice!

Yegor

Hi Everyone, I think this is one of the best places to receive immigration related answers.

My daughter is taking a class in Bali this Summer. She is 19 year-old US permanent resident, has no passport (US or other).

1. Do you think it's possible do get Citizenship (passport) within the next 6 months (Los Angeles area), if she applies now?

2. If not: what other options she's got to take the trip?

Thank you in advance!

Hi Everyone, I think this is one of the best places to receive immigration related answers.

My daughter is taking a class in Bali this Summer. She is 19 year-old US permanent resident, has no passport (US or other).

1. Do you think it's possible do get Citizenship (passport) within the next 6 months (Los Angeles area), if she applies now?

Thank you in advance!

1. Looking at nowadays timelines, I would definitely say yes.
2. The other option would be to get a passport issued by her country of if she's stateless then a travel passport (I-131) and then an indonesian visa.

Bali is an awesome place, I wish I could go back today!

You mean a US passport? Depends on various factors including how long she has been a permanent resident, and whether you or her other parent became a US citizen before she turned 18. In other words, whether she meets the qualifications for US citizenship.

If she has citizenship of another country, she should be able to obtain that country's passport from the embassy of that country.
Reentry permit.

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Looking at nowadays timelines, I would definitely say yes.

That's what I was thinking: scanning the LA timeline thread I noticed an average of 3-4 months of turnaround time.

Thanks guys, I am filling-up an application right now.

Are you a US citizen already?
If so, how old was your daughter on the day you took your oath of allegiance?

Oh no, I am not a US citizen nor my wife is, hence why that option is out :)

Do US citizens need a visa for short-term study in Indonesia? If yes, you also need to factor in the time for the visa processing, on top of however long it takes to get US citizenship and a US passport.

Do US citizens need a visa for short-term study in Indonesia? If yes, you also need to factor in the time for the visa processing, on top of however long it takes to get US citizenship and a US passport.

I've been in Bali in May and I could get a tourist visa on arrival at the airport (USD 10 fee), my wife did the same with her US passport.
However, student visa might be different.

Another question is whether she even needs a student visa for studying 2-3 months in the summer. For some countries it is acceptable to use a tourist visa for short-term studying like that.

The problem is that the tourist visa given at the airport is valid for 7 days.

If she has citizenship of another country, she should be able to obtain that country's passport from the embassy of that country.
Depending on the country, getting passport through consulate may take longer time than naturalising and obtaining US passport combined. So, I would recommend to start naturalisation process and at the same time apply for a passport from native country. These options will not interfere with each other but will increase the possibility of going to Bali in 6 months.