About Returning to COP

Noma

Registered Users (C)
Asylees should understand, however, that even after obtaining legal permanent residence, they will have to use a Refugee Travel Document to travel abroad. It is only after an asylee becomes a U.S. citizen that he will be eligible for a U.S. passport. Asylees should also understand that until they obtain U.S. citizenship they cannot travel back to their countries. When they apply to naturalize, they will have to list all international travel after obtaining legal permanent residence in the United States, and a DHS Official could re-open the asylum grant upon learning that the applicant traveled back to his country.

Please refer to
http://www.immigrationequality.org/manual_template.php?id=1180

for the rest of the news.

Thanks,
Noma

Noma said:
Asylees should understand, however, that even after obtaining legal permanent residence, they will have to use a Refugee Travel Document to travel abroad.
I don't think there is anything that says that in INS regulations and rules, that you MUST have an RTD after being LPR and that you can not use your green card when you travel. If there is such a law that says that, I sure have not seen it yet. For what I know, asylees who became PR's can use their green card along with their NP for their travels abroad, because if they were not allowed to do that, they would not have been given temporary green card stamp on their NP for when they need to travel before receiving the actual plastic card in their hands....

Guys, I reaaaaally want to read citizenship interview experiences of ex-asylees. I have not read ONE post from an ex asylee who had their citizenship interview. I think hearing those experiences will help us with worries such as the one mentioned above....Actually I will go to the citizenship section and make a thread there in case there are ex-asylees there who just had their citizenship interview but do not come to these quarters anymore but just lurk and post in the citizenship section. I will make a thread asking them to make a post in this section for them to share their experience with us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Once an asylee has been adjusted to be legal permanent resident, he or she is no longer an asylee - this is what my laywer told me when I asked her the question.

My laywer also said that I could travel to my home country and even apply for NP. She said unless one commited fraud when being an asylee, USCIS would not open a case agains GC holder based on traveling to home country alone.

By the way, in her more than 30 years of practice, she told me that she had never heard of a case in which a GC holder was denied citizenship exclusively based on GC holder traveling back to home country.

If someone has first-hand experience to the countrary, please kindly share it here. If possible, please avoid hearsay, such as "a friend of mine in NY who knows of a case in which..." Hearsay is really difficult to prove or disprove.

I just made a thread in the citizenship section asking any ex-asylee who just had their citizenship interview to come to this section and make a thread for us to share their experiences. Hopefully there will be at least one person from whom we can gain insight from on how a citizenship interview for an ex-asylee went (and if they went to their COP for a visit, that also would help tons in regards to all these questions that we have over here).

Noma, I red the site you referred to. They are talking about asylees and not LPRs. That's, if you travle to your COP while you're in asylum status, the DHS have the right to re-opne your case, this doesn't apply to LPRs. Read it again.

Gino

Noma said:
Asylees should understand, however, that even after obtaining legal permanent residence, they will have to use a Refugee Travel Document to travel abroad. It is only after an asylee becomes a U.S. citizen that he will be eligible for a U.S. passport. Asylees should also understand that until they obtain U.S. citizenship they cannot travel back to their countries. When they apply to naturalize, they will have to list all international travel after obtaining legal permanent residence in the United States, and a DHS Official could re-open the asylum grant upon learning that the applicant traveled back to his country.

Please refer to

Thanks,
Noma

gino said:
Noma, I red the site you referred to. They are talking about asylees and not LPRs. That's, if you travle to your COP while you're in asylum status, the DHS have the right to re-opne your case, this doesn't apply to LPRs. Read it again.

Gino

Gino, actually it does. Check the areas I highlighted (see below). Guys, I know a lot of people/lawyers said that it's OK to use NP and go to COP, but logically, this article makes more sense to me. If you don't have a fear to go back to COP and use NP anytime you want to, then why do you need the protection from the US? Maybe the CIS doesn't have time to check every case, but if they do, I feel that they will question the every use of NPs and travels to COP.

I'm pretty sure Shamshon ( you know who I'm talking about/forgive me if i didn't spell it right) has done his citizenship interview already and got his citizenship years ago. :) :rolleyes:

Shamshon, are you here? ;)

clotty said:
I just made a thread in the citizenship section asking any ex-asylee who just had their citizenship interview to come to this section and make a thread for us to share their experiences. Hopefully there will be at least one person from whom we can gain insight from on how a citizenship interview for an ex-asylee went (and if they went to their COP for a visit, that also would help tons in regards to all these questions that we have over here).

hum.....i think that website is bullshiting.

after adjustment, asylee is changed to PR. so for sure reentry permit is fine and applicable. otherwise what's the point of adjusting to PR? why don't they just allow us to apply for citizenship 5 years after?

Noma said:

Please refer to

Thanks,
Noma

MGTgrl said:
Gino, actually it does. Check the areas I highlighted (see below). Guys, I know a lot of people/lawyers said that it's OK to use NP and go to COP, but logically, this article makes more sense to me. If you don't have a fear to go back to COP and use NP anytime you want to, then why do you need the protection from the US? Maybe the CIS doesn't have time to check every case, but if they do, I feel that they will question the every use of NPs and travels to COP.

I think this topic comes out every week and then dies down to 70% saying it is ok and 30% saying its not and then thats it.

So you can go analyze it and copy and paste anything any other websites says..IT DOES NOT MATTER. 2 Major FACTS that contradict themselves.

FACT: Every Legal Permanent Resident is treated the same by USCIS standards. IT doesn't matter how you got there, it matters where you will get to: USC

Questions: Then why is there a category on the GC?

FACT: If I renew my NP and want a RTD later on as a previous asylee. I can't. RTD APPLICATION Says, "HAVE YOU RENEWED PASSPORT FROM YOUR COP"?

Confusing!

Question:If I renew my NP, why are you confusing me by offering me a RTD?

Maybe create a new section where it says "LPR ASYLEES WHO CAN"T OBTAIN PASSPORT FROM THEIR COUNTRY".

Question: Will i get USC if I renew my passport? Can USCIS think that my application was not genuine?

ITs not black and white. Every asylee's case is different..true? Some were persecuted because of religious beliefs, some were for political refugees, some other cases. Times change, People Change, Politicians change.

So if John Doe applied asylum based on Political Persecution and the countries government change...Can USCIS say wait you can go back if you renew your NP?

Point of all these ramblings are: Buyer Beware. Yes go back its ok I believer. Yes renew your NP if you have to...Yes I believe USC wont be hard to get if you renew your NP.....BUT DO NOT fall in any paper trap. Don't renew your NP and then apply for a RTD saying "No I never renewed my passport" in the question..

So use your brain. You were responsiblie for your interview when you won asylum. You were responsibile for filing your GC application..everything else..Then why do you seek answers to these questions on these board? These are your personal choices...If you feel comfi do it..if you don't..don't! Don't look for scapegoats that Ok X got his USC so I am ok or X didn't get his USC so i may not be ok. If John Doe doesn't get his USC for some reason, it don't mean you won't either.

from your tone i can tell that your sick'n'tired of this issue isn't it?

forget about it. let's have a beer :p :D

wantmygcnow said:
I think this topic comes out every week and then dies down to 70% saying it is ok and 30% saying its not and then thats it.

So you can go analyze it and copy and paste anything any other websites says..IT DOES NOT MATTER. 2 Major FACTS that contradict themselves.

FACT: Every Legal Permanent Resident is treated the same by USCIS standards. IT doesn't matter how you got there, it matters where you will get to: USC

Questions: Then why is there a category on the GC?

FACT: If I renew my NP and want a RTD later on as a previous asylee. I can't. RTD APPLICATION Says, "HAVE YOU RENEWED PASSPORT FROM YOUR COP"?

Confusing!

Question:If I renew my NP, why are you confusing me by offering me a RTD?

Maybe create a new section where it says "LPR ASYLEES WHO CAN"T OBTAIN PASSPORT FROM THEIR COUNTRY".

Question: Will i get USC if I renew my passport? Can USCIS think that my application was not genuine?

ITs not black and white. Every asylee's case is different..true? Some were persecuted because of religious beliefs, some were for political refugees, some other cases. Times change, People Change, Politicians change.

So if John Doe applied asylum based on Political Persecution and the countries government change...Can USCIS say wait you can go back if you renew your NP?

Point of all these ramblings are: Buyer Beware. Yes go back its ok I believer. Yes renew your NP if you have to...Yes I believe USC wont be hard to get if you renew your NP.....BUT DO NOT fall in any paper trap. Don't renew your NP and then apply for a RTD saying "No I never renewed my passport" in the question..

So use your brain. You were responsiblie for your interview when you won asylum. You were responsibile for filing your GC application..everything else..Then why do you seek answers to these questions on these board? These are your personal choices...If you feel comfi do it..if you don't..don't! Don't look for scapegoats that Ok X got his USC so I am ok or X didn't get his USC so i may not be ok. If John Doe doesn't get his USC for some reason, it don't mean you won't either.

MGTgrl said:

You and I discussed this on another thread. You even concluded that it pertains mostly to political asylees who had a fear of persecution from their government. There are people who seeked asylum due to their religion or their sexual orientation and none of those people have any logical reason to fear visiting that country ; that kind of fear pertains to LIVING there. Plus like I said if INS does not want you to use your NP AT ALL, then they would not have given temp green card stamp on the NP's and we both know many people got that stamp. As long as you do not go to your COP for a long period of time, to use NP with green card (especially if it is valid) seems sensible to me. I can go visit England or France with my valid NP and green card. It has nothing to do with my asylum claim.

clotty said:
You and I discussed this on another thread. You even concluded that it pertains mostly to political asylees who had a fear of persecution from their government. There are people who seeked asylum due to their religion or their sexual orientation and none of those people have any logical reason to fear visiting that country ; that kind of fear pertains to LIVING there. Plus like I said if INS does not want you to use your NP AT ALL, then they would not have given temp green card stamp on the NP's and we both know many people got that stamp. As long as you do not go to your COP for a long period of time, to use NP with green card (especially if it is valid) seems sensible to me. I can go visit England or France with my valid NP and green card. It has nothing to do with my asylum claim.
Hey CLotty,

I know we have discussed this issue before. And I have agreed to your valid points in the past. My comments were in regard to this new web site that Noma posted. I was just commenting on that. Like Wantmygcnow said it's a matter of personal confort and choice. So let's just all stick to what we feel comfortable with.

wantmygcnow said:
Hey Wantmygcnow,

It looks like you are getting frustrated regarding this! The reason the question comes up every week is because the issue never got resolved in the past. The thread dies while the topic it's still unsolved for the most part. 70%-30% shows that there are still a lot of people who don't feel comfortable with this issue. But you raised a very good point. This is a personal choice and decision, and we should all proceed accordingly! So whoever feels comfortable in renewing NP and visiting COP, go ahead, at your own risk. And the rest can wait 3-4-5 years until citizenship and do it then!

For your sake, I hope this is the last week this issue is brought up :)! Have a wonderful evening :)

MGTgrl said:
Hey CLotty,

I know we have discussed this issue before. And I have agreed to your valid points in the past. My comments were in regard to this new web site that Noma posted. I was just commenting on that. Like Wantmygcnow said it's a matter of personal confort and choice. So let's just all stick to what we feel comfortable with.
I know you took the quote from that website to comment on but afterwards you made your personal comment and posed a question : If you don't have a fear to go back to COP and use NP anytime you want to, then why do you need the protection from the US?. So my comment was to your question. And I pointed out our earlier question which tackled the same subject matter. The bottom line is like I said it IS a personal choice simply because people's asylum claims are mostly different than one another. Like I said someone who seeked asylum due to their religion or sexual orientation does not have to worry about renewing their NP or using their NP with their GC while a political asylum with fear of persecution from COP government has those sort of worries. That is what I pointed out in order to answer the question you posed. It is not black and white, which is why there is no clear-cut answer in INS regulations/rules addressing this directly. I just hope our sticky thread works and we hear from asylees who went through their citizenship interviews and gain a better perspective on this whole issue.

clotty said:
I know you took the quote from that website to comment on but afterwards you made your personal comment and posed a question : If you don't have a fear to go back to COP and use NP anytime you want to, then why do you need the protection from the US?. So my comment was to your question. And I pointed out our earlier question which tackled the same subject matter. The bottom line is like I said it IS a personal choice simply because people's asylum claims are mostly different than one another. Like I said someone who seeked asylum due to their religion or sexual orientation does not have to worry about renewing their NP or using their NP with their GC while a political asylum with fear of persecution from COP government has those sort of worries. That is what I pointed out in order to answer the question you posed. It is not black and white, which is why there is no clear-cut answer in INS regulations/rules addressing this directly. I just hope our sticky thread works and we hear from asylees who went through their citizenship interviews and gain a better perspective on this whole issue.
Hi Clotty,

Thanks for the reply. My question was not a question actually, it was more like a thought process. But anyhow, I hope we can hear people's experiences regarding this on the sticky thread. But I think those people don't hang here anymore (maybe now that they are american citizens they don't check the forums anymore)! Well let's wait and see!

MGTgrl said:
Hi Clotty,

Thanks for the reply. My question was not a question actually, it was more like a thought process. But anyhow, I hope we can hear people's experiences regarding this on the sticky thread. But I think those people don't hang here anymore (maybe now that they are american citizens they don't check the forums anymore)! Well let's wait and see!
I made a thread in citizenship section inviting ex-asylee citizenship applicants to this section to share their interview experiences as I know there are many people in that section who are still coming to the boards after their interview since the wait is not over for them yet. Apparently sometimes the interview is done before the name check is complete and some had to wait over a year after the interview to get approved for citizenship. I just checked the thread, so far no replies.

IKAKO, that sounds strange, do they really do that???. I think they keep every single record even after you die..

Guacho

awesome information.

many good points thrown in this threads. thank you for pointing all out. although none of ex-asylee that has go through the citizenship interview. I will wait and see until that person show up. so I can ask questions 'n get the answer from the actual person who experience it. thanks once again.