About including return envelope

Amicus

Registered Users (C)
We're about to apply for our OCI at CGISF and would like to know if it is ok to send return envelope (for CGISF to send back passports after stamping) later when I send the passports for stamping?

We're about to apply for our OCI at CGISF and would like to know if it is ok to send return envelope (for CGISF to send back passports after stamping) later when I send the passports for stamping?

We applied thru CGISF and sent our return envelope with the original applications. I kept a copy of the tracking number, so that I could track it after sending our passports. I think you could send it later with the passports, but since CGISF doesn't allow any personal pickups, it doesn't matter when you send it - you DO have to send it. I think the postal rates are going up on May 12th, so send the envelope with the right amount of postage.

We applied thru CGISF and sent our return envelope with the original applications. I kept a copy of the tracking number, so that I could track it after sending our passports. I think you could send it later with the passports, but since CGISF doesn't allow any personal pickups, it doesn't matter when you send it - you DO have to send it. I think the postal rates are going up on May 12th, so send the envelope with the right amount of postage.

Thanks again, akgarg. That's exactly the reason ... if USPS doesn't allow me to pay the new rate before it actually goes up, then I won't be able to include the return envelope. I think I'll just include a note in a cover letter indicating that I'll send the return envelope later.

Thanks again, akgarg. That's exactly the reason ... if USPS doesn't allow me to pay the new rate before it actually goes up, then I won't be able to include the return envelope. I think I'll just include a note in a cover letter indicating that I'll send the return envelope later.

In case you are interested, flat rate Express Mail charges would be $16.50, per page 2 in http://pe.usps.com/2008_RateCase/DMM/ratesandfees.pdf

express mails are guaranteed, but priority mails are not (this is my understanding). hence cgisf is asking for express mails

We did not use express mail for the whole oci process and stuck to the cheaper Priority mail envelope though we did choose the tracking info option. We sent the return envelope after the oci was granted, along with our US passports. Had no problems with this method. We live close to the consulate so express or priority mail takes the same time for our area!

Thanks for the link; it seems to be going up by $0.25.

Wonder why CGISF wants pre-paid express mail, when pre-paid priority mail is less than one-third the price.

I have sent in the envolopes with 16.25, what should I do after my OCI is granted (expected in June 1st week). Send in the additional .25 in stamps?

Thanks for the info aabbcc11; good to know CGISF doesn't really care. We'll use priority mail for return postage when we mail in our passports. We just used the usual brown envelope to mail in our application today.

punk, the last time there was a hike of over $2, CGISF had asked someone to mail in the difference. I don't know if it was in terms of stamps or cash. There is a post on the CGISF thread about it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info aabbcc11; good to know CGISF doesn't really care. We'll use priority mail for return postage when we mail in our passports. We just used the usual brown envelope to mail in our application today.

punk, the last time there was a hike of over $2, CGISF had asked someone to mail in the difference. I don't know if it was in terms of stamps or cash. There is a post on the CGISF thread about it.

Considering that we spent $1,100 for 4 OCI applications, I personally didn't mind paying an extra $20 or so to send AND receive our passports by Express mail since it includes built-in insurance (implying more secure handling by USPS) and is guaranteed to be delivered overnight. See (note: rates are out of date) http://www.stamps.com/export/client/postal-advisor/priority-vs-express.html

Last edited by a moderator:
I have sent in the envolopes with 16.25, what should I do after my OCI is granted (expected in June 1st week). Send in the additional .25 in stamps?

It may not be bad idea to paper-clip a 25c stamp to the cover letter :)