A US GC holder visiting Toronto, Canada

goodcook

Dear Friends,

I have been a frequent visitor for this forum. I got my GC stamped last April but haven't got the plastic card.
Before I got USA GC approved, I was a Canadian GC holder, living in US (H-1B VISA). Obviously after I got US GC, I decided I give up my Canadian GC. However, I haven't sent any official letter to Canada saying that I will give up my Canadian GC.
Now, I need to visit Toronto, Canada in a few month. I have a passport (that was renewed in Canada last year) and it is kinda a resident passport that my country issued based on my Canadian green card. When I enter Canada POE with that passport and the stamp proving that I am US GC hodler, will there any problem getting in? It is kinda an unique case so I need any input or idea if anyone has one.

Appreciate it very much.

Technically speaking, you have already lost your residency status in Canada. I suggest that you visit a nearby canadian embassy or notify them in writing about your intent prior to crossing the boarder. I would also call them to find out what needs to be done.

When I got my GC in US, I also had immigration papers from Canada but I never actually landed. So, my situation was a bit different. I had a few more remaining days to land. I had to visit Canada but I didn't want to use canadian immigration papers to do that so I turned them in at a nearby canadian consulate before I visited canada.

Why has he lost Canadian GC

WHy do you say his Canadian GC is lost. IS there a rulw which prevents one from being PR of both Canada and US
Just curious...

TPK

There is no rule which states that you can not be a PR of Canada and GC holder of US at the same time. However, technically it may not be possible to maintain both because of in-country stay requirements.