A Sign?

paulclarke1

Registered Users (C)
Ok perhaps I am clutching at straws here, but USCIS rec'd my RFE Apr 23rd. I looked at my portfolio today and the last updated date has changed to 4/28. The USCIS site says that a updated date change indicates some internal processing has happened. I have seen other posts here indicate that the update date changes before your case status changes. After 773 days in I-485 limbo you would think that I would know better than to get my hopes up. Sorry can't help it.

pauleclarke1

When is your fingerprinting going to expire. Maybe they want to process it before then...

Just a wild guess

Paul,

My case could be an outlier, and not representative of the general going ons at the Nebraska Service Center, but my RFE was recd on 12/15 by the USCIS, and the last update date is 12/19.

And I am still waiting. Hope you don't have to.

BTW, my FP is current (and would be till Sep 04), and my guess is that they are waiting for the name check clearance.

Last edited by a moderator:
My last updated date changed to 04/29/2004 too after changing yesterday (04/28/2004) to RFE reply received.

Does anybody know as to how many times the last updated date changes before approval. Also, typically how long from the previous last updated date to approval.

that's exactly what happened in my case. the portfolio website reported receiving my RFE response on apr 8, then its last update date changed again on apr 13 without any change in status, which reflected "internal processing", as the portfolio site explains. finally, on apr. 22 our cases were approved, and the site was updated and emails sent ou apr 23.

going by that, all your approvals cannot be too far off.

I Like You Answe Best

Pork - I like your answer the best. You win!

It could not be my FP. I did my 2nd FP in Dec, so I am good until March 2005.

ohioApp, I completed my second fingerprinting in Jan 2004. The date change is most probably not because of that.

From Pork's reply, it seems that our files are on the adjudicator's table ready to be looked at again. I am hoping to hear something in a week going by the trend.

pork chop,
it looks like after your rfe is recieved on Apr 8, your approval was done on Apr/13 (internal processing), but the actual signature on the file by the supervisor was done on Apr 22, just my guess.

fp

i guess you guys are right. I have been obsessed with FP,
because my FP has expired today...

Best of luck to all of you. :)

After seeing Pork Chop's response , I checked my status and it has last updated date as today ( 4/29) without any change to status. Previously it said 4/26 the day they received my RFE response.

My FPs expired on 3/26 and the RFE was generated on 3/24 ... I guess they would be sending the 2nd FP notice anytime.

rfe

rfe received by uscis : 28 april, 2004
fp expired : 29 april, 2004

When the uscis officer opens my rfe response, i guess he
will not process it, and will send a fp notice. I am afraid my
file will be lost into darkness after that.:(

What Happens Between RFE and APL

A long while ago someone posted the INS I-485 SOP to this site.
I decided to try to work out what would generate a change to the last updated date on the new portfolio site between RFE receipt and APL.

It looks like after the RFE response gets to the mail room at the service center it is routed to Workload Distribution and that department updates CLAIMS (INS computer system). My guess is that this is what changes your case status from RFE sent to RFE rec'd. Workload Distribution match the response to the file and route it back to the adjudicator (Page 132).

How the RFE and file is treated at that point is not clear from the SOP. My assumption is that the adjudicator reviews the RFE and file and approves it in the same way as if no RFE was required.

The actual administrative process for approval goes like this (page 187).
1/. Annotate the processing worksheet by initialing and dating the recomended approval block.

2/. Drop off the file in the visa request shelf in the workload distribution area.

3/. Someone (clerical staff?) does some data entry and approves the case within CLAIMS and approves dates and signs the I-485.

4/. The next step seems to be the creation of the I-181 approval notice. My guess is that the case status changes to approved when the I-181 is created. (page 192)

So that leaves a number of points where the system could show a change in the last updated date. Most likely this date changes when something is changed on the case within CLAIMS.

So in between RFE receipt and APL, there are a number of points where CLAIMS seems to be touched. It does not seem that the adjudicator has to receive the file into the system when they start to look at a case. I also don't think that there is a separate update in CLAIMS when Workload Distribution sends the file to the adjudicator. Neither of these actions are mentioned in a very detailed document, so my guess is that it is only where when the I-485 gets adjudicated that CLAIMS gets updated. The gap beween I-485 adjudication and I-181 creation is probably clerical and security check related.

But who really knows. I am prepared to accept that there is a good deal of wishful thinking in my analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:
See my information helps to Analysis

I think paul analysis is almost there. Anyway see my details helps in anyway.

RD July 2002
FP Jan 2003

RFE Issued March 23 2004
RFE Recd by USCIS 12th April 2004

Portfolio was saying
Last Updated 15th April 2004 till yesterday morning
Changed 29th April 2004
Today afternoon it is saying last updated 30th April 2004
No cahnge in the case status.

Ok so I was wrong

Mr (Ms perhaps) 123_gc's case shows us that there is at least 2 steps in the internal process between RFE rec'f and APL.

123_gc, you seem closer to APL than I. Can I prevail on you to watch your portfolio for changes to the last update date. If we can get this information from a number of cases then we should be able to determine the number of steps in the process.

case status update means nothing

my rfe was received on date a. then update was on date A+4.
This was 4 months back. In the meantime, one more FP but nothing about the FP went into the file. hence no update about FP.
Maybe we should spend money on discovering whats happening in the service centers rather than sending people on moon or mars.

don't know if this is helpful...

or just adds to the confusion, but my wife's and my case status continued to show changing "last updated" dates even after approval, without any change in status (thank the devil for that!). my "last updated" changed once again after approval, and my wife's twice... go figure.

my little son, on the other hand, still remains "unapproved", with the "last updated" in his case being over a year old, corresponding to an address change, as the immigration officer at the BCIS office informed us when my wife and i had gone in to get our passports stamped.