A scary story!

people

We dont know the reasons for them being held.

I agree that what they did is not good but we dont know the real reasons.

The Special registration didnt legalize illegal presence.

They didnt arrest everyone so wait for the real reason. If they were illegally held... they have the right to sue.

i think

those people may not have valid visa. I dont think INS can arrest people like that without any valid reason. We have to wait and see...but this is scary.:eek:

patienceGC:

an excerpt from the same article..:

...Officials declined to give figures for those arrested or for the numbers of people who turned up to register, be fingerprinted and have their photographs taken. ....

I don't think you and me would ever get to know the exact reasons simply because of the fact that in an overwhelming majority of the cases there really aren't any which is why the officials decline to reveal anything substantial. Agreed that there might have been minor violations in some cases but that does not justify people being herded like cattle into crowded jails.

I am not a Muslim but this is just too much.

Dont have to be muslim to find this outrageous

This is outeageous. INS at this point can do anything. Beggars cannto be choosers. If we are begging for the GC here, perhaps one has to take this humiliation too. I think having gotten some powers, INS is taking soem extreme steps. But again we do not know the real reason or details. I dont think we will ever know them either. So hope for the best.

It is depressing.

For the same report,
INS spokesman Arcaute said those arrested had violated immigration laws, overstayed their visas, or were wanted for crimes. The program was prompted by concern about the lack of records on tourists, students and other visitors to the United States after the Sept. 11 hijack plane attacks on New York and Washington.

Did you guys actually read the whole article before jumping to conclusions?

This is a still free country. If one doesn't like it here, one can always go to Canada, Europe, or home.

Rethink Mr Green_Gator

well I would have reacted the same way if my home country treated the immigrants this way.

1.There has to be a decorum to address these kind of issue not calling everyone to register on some pretext and arrresting them.
where they sleeping all these days ???

2.Can you go thru the GC process without any questions?? and confusions??or for that matter can you guarentee your GC approval??Free country doesnt mean your left to ponder on your Luck.

3.The point is not staying here or going back obviously everyone has the luxury of going back to their home country so thats a open secret.

4.Cancelling Naturalization procedure when all your family members care awaiting to see your oath taking ceremony is not done in a free country .

5.If you think the way the things are going as Free country then I pity you.

I am not against the policies of Home land Defence but I am against using it on innocent immigrants who are here to earn bread and butter and keep the economy going in the process

Free country !!! not at the cost of immigrants!!!!!

See its a win win situation here if the balanace tilts on either side ultimately its this country which will loose on the long run ....its the balancing act thats crucial .

If you are INS official/FBI agent what will you do ?
Unless you question all, how can you weed out bad from Good ? I do not understand these peoples argument ? I fyou are GOOD, be brave, confident, be proud that you are questioned (if done properly ). Come out as hero .. without Guilty.. cooperate with officials .. it is our duty to coperate with officials to separete BAD elements. It is for all of our safety they are struggling to pick dangerous people. Even if we get GC late, no problem, we will relatively be in safer society.
Who wants to have early GC, and start working/living and then die on one fine day.. unnecessarily..

Per CNN web site.. NO arrests were made. There was peaceful demonstration agianst the policy of INS:confused:

Many complex criminal cases got solved from picking-up the thread of clue given by plain people.

There will(may) be some 'sympothisers', 'fund-contributors' who finally feared and decided to be on this side and went to register! You will get some links from them.

It is pity that you refer officials as naive ! Do not under estimate them. As you may be 'expert' in bug fixes in life-less code, they are 'experts' in finding bugs !

Let me reiterate one more time,
INS spokesman Arcaute said those arrested had violated immigration laws, overstayed their visas, or were wanted for crimes.

So these are the innocent, hard working, immigrants?

So which one is it? The one who has violated immigration law? The one who overstayed their visas? Or the one whol were wanted for crimes? Tell me which one is innocent?

And how about those who aided the terrorists? The one who raises money for them? The one provides fake ID for them?

What about those who preaches hatred again Americans? Should they get green card too?
Get off your soap box and be realistic. If I have nothing to hide, why would I be afraid of the INS?

Well If I get treated this way

If I feel even an Iota of mistreatment from this country I am going to leave this country , nothing matters to me more than my self respect .

People with good intensions should have nothing to worry about..

Read Ashcroft's speech, he concludes with

"We are an open country that welcomes the people of the world to visit our blessed land. We will continue to greet our international neighbors with good will. Asking some visitors to verify their activities while they are here is fully consistent with that outlook. To meet our responsibility to protect American lives in the future, we take the steps that I have outlined today. "

http://www.usdoj.gov/ag/speeches/2002/060502agpreparedremarks.htm

I don't understand why you guys are so much worried about these. First of all, think about yourselves and let INS do their work. You cannot pity someone who is not on status or staying illegally if you are working for INS. It is their duty and responsibility to do so. If they catch the people who are not here legally, the question of sympathy, pity or anything else does not matter.

read this

Under "Who should register", they state this:

"If you were inspected by the INS and last admitted to the U.S. as a nonimmigrant on or before September 30, 2002"

That is, those millions of mexicans who jumped over the border illegaly, are not required to register. You are only required to register if you worked hard to stay legal. What an irony again not so strange from the INS. I don't know when this horror movie called INS going to end.