A Sad Story

check out www.immigration-law.com

There is an article on 10/03/01 regarding proposed immigration status for those directly affected by the WTC disaster. It seems that the INS and US government will do the right thing.

DeDe

i think the article is not true

first of all, INS is never mailing any warnings that quickly.
i think you guys already know how slow INS is :)
second, 60% tax on the life insurance payout??? how about children? can they collect the money? no way . . .

I heard something about PATRIOTIC ACT for dependents of the victims of WTC attack.

Yesterday I heard attorney sheela murthy talking about
this kind of situation where the dependents of the victims
of WTC attack are covered under the PATRIOTIC ACT and can
pursue their GC if it was filed by the victim.

Ya , even I read abt the PATRIOTIC ACT ...I hope the news is not true

Ya , even I read abt the PATRIOTIC ACT ...I hope the news is not true

http://www.nj.com/newsflash/index.ssf?/cgi-free/getstory_ssf.cgi?a0900_BC_Attacks-ImmigrationLi&

somebody is always hunting for "the story", that\'s it.

the original article was a hoax.
shusterman.com also has some comments from the INS Commissioner giving immunity even to illelgal relatives of illegal victims, let alone "illegal" relatives of legal victims . . .

This is how rumors spread

Unfortunately even in the wake of such horrible tragedies there are SOBs who are spreading useless gossip. All this nonsense does is create panick and hate. As a person experienced in financial matters I can tell you that 60% tax on life insurance does not exist no matter who the person is or waht his/her status in the country might be. Stop paying attention to this crap and keep on living.

We should have confidence in the freedom of this country

I dont believe this government would do anything like deporting any dependent of legal victim of WTC attack even becasue of lost status. I expect this government will find a resolution. Otherwise, it will really hurt my feeling and I would doubt if I would like to live here anymore.

A UPDATE OF THE STORY

Today, the Fox News Channel\'s website, a major US media, also reproted the story under the headline "Adding Insult to Injury" (www.foxnews.com). Yesterday, www.ilw.com, a immigration law publisher also quote the story with their editorial. Like many of you, I certainly wish this story will have a happy ending!!!
P.S. after the Fox News report, I personally believe this story has its validity and Not just sensetional journalism although details may vary from report to report.

She will be OK

Once you get one of these \'human interest\' stories in the media, there will be enough momentum to ensure she\'ll be OK. I hear Robert Toricelli is trying to pass legislation to help her.

My understanding was, however, that the dependents of a victim with an approved immigrant visa petition would automatically get to self-petition.

Either way, she\'ll be OK. America works, even if it does take a little prodding from time to time.