No Title

Almost all documents acceptable to DM are issued in the USA
except for passports and a foreigners has only his/her passport to
offer so that the first DL for a foreigner is usually issued
with the immigration status checked. But after that, most
state do not check your status if you already have a DL, even
a out-of-state one.

No Title

A similar item featured in Sheela Murthy\'s immigration bulletin dated 11-16-2001. It can be found at http://www.murthy.com/nov1601.pdf. I am copying the related item below.

-----------------------------------------------------------
5. Court Allows Questioning of Driver About Passenger\'s Status

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, in the case of United States v Rodriguez-
Arreola, decided on October 12, 2001, found that it was constitutionally permissible for police to
question a driver, during a routine traffic stop, regarding a passenger\'s immigration status.
The facts of the case are as follows. Mr. Rodriguez-Arreola was a passenger in a car driven by a
friend. When the driver was stopped for speeding, the patrol officer inquired as to his immigration
status. He also asked the friend about the immigration status of his passenger, Mr. Rodriguez-
Arreola. The driver informed the officer that the passenger did not have legal status. The officer
then proceeded to question the passenger about his immigration status and to obtain verification
from INS. The evidence gathered as a result of this questioning was admissible in a criminal
prosecution for unlawful reentry to the U.S. following an order of removal (formerly known as deportation).

The Court decided that the questioning was proper and information obtained could be used
against Mr. Rodriguez-Arreola. The Court reasoned that officers with reasonable suspicion to
detain an individual may ask questions related to identity and to information connected to their
suspicions. The Court found that the passenger could not suppress the use of information
gathered from the questioning of the driver, as he had no expectation of privacy regarding the
driver\'s knowledge of his immigration status. The passenger was limited to challenging the
violations of his own rights. Therefore, the officer had reasonable suspicion, via his questioning of
the driver, to inquire into the passenger\'s immigration status directly.

© The Law Office of Sheela Murthy P.C.
-----------------------------------------------------------

No Title

You are correct and I believe that is what happens in many cases. The cops detain you and then the INS charges you with immigration violations.

No Title

You are correct and I believe that is what happens in many cases. The cops detain you and then the INS charges you with immigration violations.

No Title

Hey AW, that is a subtle point which did not occur to me. You know the labor laws ( I-9) cannot ask you about your national origin point-blank. They can ask you if you have legal authority to work in the US. I wonder if a similar clause applies to law enforcement asking about your immigration status and profiling.

No Title

Is the practice of profiling based upon English proficiency
legal? I believe that it is at least OK because certain English
level is required for naturalization and USA-Born citizen
can speak Good English