A New Citizen As of 02/02

ApplyinMidwest

Registered Users (C)
I've just went thru my oath ceremony last Friday. It was short and sweet(around 2 hr-ish). In by 8:00am and out around 10:00.

One thing I notice is how flimsy/thin the Naturalization certificate is. For the longest time, I thought it would be as thick as my school diploma. I was wrong. For the $400 I paid, I would expect better quality paper. Nevertheless, I am very grateful that the whole process from start to finish has been nothing but flawless. Kudos to USCIS! I believe for all the horrific stories I read from here, there are as much success stories like mine. Good luck to you all. This forum has been very helpful albeit sometimes add to unnecessary worries.

I sincerely thank everyone that contributes to it. Right now I'm waiting for my expedited passport.

Last edited by a moderator:
9/11-Sent N400 App to NSC
9/14-App Received by NSC
9/18-Check cashed
9/25-Confirmation letter
9/25-FP Letter
9/29-FP Appointment
10/6-Case status online disappeared
10/10-IL received
12/7-Interview date
02/02/07-Oath date
02/09/07-Passport received
Now waiting for replacement SS card

The whole time it was a very smooth journey, The longest wait being for the oath letter. The only complaint was my naturalization cert was creased up after I got it back from the post office. They must've been putting it in the laundry drier as part of passport procedure.

ApplyinMidwest said:
I've just went thru my oath ceremony last Friday. It was short and sweet(around 2 hr-ish). In by 8:00am and out around 10:00.

One thing I notice is how flimsy/thin the Naturalization certificate is. For the longest time, I thought it would be as thick as my school diploma. I was wrong. For the $400 I paid, I would expect better quality paper. Nevertheless, I am very grateful that the whole process from start to finish has been nothing but flawless. Kudos to USCIS! I believe for all the horrific stories I read from here, there are as much success stories like mine. Good luck to you all. This forum has been very helpful albeit sometimes add to unnecessary worries.

I sincerely thank everyone that contributes to it. Right now I'm waiting for my expedited passport.

Congrats. Did you apply in Minneapolis ?

No. Applied from Ohio. But don't use me for benchmark since I have a very unique last name (non muslim or hindu), which might explain why I went thru name check so fast.

Update on my timeline:
9/11-Sent N400 App to NSC
9/14-App Received by NSC
9/18-Check cashed
9/25-Confirmation letter
9/25-FP Letter
9/29-FP Appointment
10/6-Case status online disappeared
10/10-IL received
12/7-Interview date
01/08/07-Oath letter
02/02/07-Oath date
02/09/07-Passport received
02/12/07-SS card received

As of 02/12/07-everything is done. Most importantly, I can vote in 2008. I'm truly proud to be a new US citizen. Nothing but good experiences from the first time I set my foot here some 20 years ago. :cool:

How did you get your passport that quick? I take it you got your USC certificate, took it to the passport office with your photos and they then processed it that same week? If so that's great as I'll have to do this either next week or the week after...

For changing status at the Social Security office after naturalization, are there any forms that need to be filled? Thanks.

MJA said:
For changing status at the Social Security office after naturalization, are there any forms that need to be filled? Thanks.
Yes. Go to nearest SS office and they will give you a form to fill out. That's what I did.