A important Question: Gurus please help

Ben12

Registered Users (C)
Hey Guys,
I have got my 485 filed and also received my EAD. Waiting for my Fp to be scheduled soon !! sometime end of September !!
I have yet to get married ..but would like to know what would be the latest point that I would be able to add a spouse name to my Application...

Please post any info on this.....I appreciate it..

Thanks You Guys !!

before I-485 approved

I think you can do it anytime before your I-485 get approved. I have a friend add his wife in the I-485 process after he has his FP done.

clock's ticking ...

Well, I've been in the same boat and here's my two cents worth.

You can add a spouse before the I-485 is approved. And you could buy some time (if you want to ...)

Once you know your FP date, you don't really have to go on the scheduled date - a cut-off date is specified (which is almost 3 months from the scheduled date) and that can help buy you time for the marriage and adding spouse to the I-485 appln. Of course, you would have to file an 'amended' 485 (with marriage photos/certificate, etc ...)

The I-485 appln will not be approved until the FP is done and delaying FP for 1-2 months can buy you some time ...

I had an FP date in mid-Feb but went on May 1st (last date being I guess the 6th!) and didn't have any issues at the FP center.

Hope this helps ...

Last edited by a moderator:
I applied for my I-485 in August 2001.

Got FP notice for 31st Jan 2002, I postponed it by 2 months. Just sent the FP notice back with a letter attached and tell them you can come between so and so date ( 2-3 months later).

I went to India in Feb, got married, brought my wife here on H4 and then applied for her I-485, in April 2002.

Since then , she has received her EAD, AP and FP done.

If your marriage is already scheduled, don't postpone your FP, just get married and come back with her.

If you haven't found the girl of your dreams yet, then you may postpone your FP, that will give you more time.

Hope this helps.

Hey Ramesh,

When did Ben or Ashes say that they r boys and need a girl for marriage or vice versa or any other combination? All they said is "spouse".

Just a lighter thought. Couldn't help smiling (no sarcasm here) at ur assumption.

:D :D ;) ;) ;)

dma_va,

When did I say Ben is a man / boy.

I assumed Ben is a woman and was just trying to help her ;-)

Who am I to tell her not to marry the girl in her dreams.

Its her choice.

Hey Ramesh,

U cheat. :p :p

U did assume Ben as a boy. I repeat ur comments here "If you haven't found the girl of your dreams yet, then you may postpone your FP,".

But that was a good reply.

Have fun.

Does one find a girl of one's dreams? .... (so does one 'dream up' a girl or finds a girl and then dreams!)

A good topic but a wrong discussion forum?

:D :p :)

Thank You so much

Hey Guys ,
Thanks you so much for all your valued inputs on my question...
I really appreciate it...

Well I liked the humor too ...

Good luck to all you guys.... Hope you guys get your GC ASAP

Ben