A FOIA success

bgrass

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,
I had tried FOIA according to this forum.
I sent a letter to local CIS office, got the letter returned because of the illiteracy of the mailman. Sent it again to the same address by end of August. Got a letter from local office 2 weeks later, got a letter from NSC 4 weeks later, got all the copies along with my 485 application today.
It took about 10 weeks totally.
Good luck to all,

Can you please explain a little bit of FOIA? Why you had to send it to local CIS office. Did your case get stuck in FBI name check???

Thanks for you info,

bgrass said:
Dear All,
I had tried FOIA according to this forum.
I sent a letter to local CIS office, got the letter returned because of the illiteracy of the mailman. Sent it again to the same address by end of August. Got a letter from local office 2 weeks later, got a letter from NSC 4 weeks later, got all the copies along with my 485 application today.
It took about 10 weeks totally.
Good luck to all,

iamconfused said:
Can you please explain a little bit of FOIA? Why you had to send it to local CIS office. Did your case get stuck in FBI name check???

Thanks for you info,

FOIA has nothing to do with FBI.

Its FREEDOM OF INFORMATION ACT by which anybody can obtain
documents from USCIS which otherwise ur employer refuses to provide.

FOIA Success

I got my Labor related documents from DOL in two weeks and all other documents (including ETA 750 A and B, I-140, I-485 applications, receipts and approval notices--- total of 180 pages) from NSC Service Center in about 6 weeks.

Thanks for the great information guys.
I am thinking of applying FOIA myself as the previous company lawyer wont give me copies of labor and 140.
1) can someone here share with me the sample form used along with any other documents needed to send to CIS.
2) I am in Wisconsin so under NSC. whats the address where I send the FOIA form
3) DO I also need to send the change of lawyer form with FOIA or just get all the GC related docs sent directly to me?
4) is there any reason to apply FOIA through a lawyer?

Thanks for helping out guys.

It is very easy to get it form Service Center.
Just fill up the form G639 and get it notorized (from AAA or your bank).

No cover letter is required for this.

Mention the following in Step 5.

Green Card filing related documents including but not limited to Labor Certification (Form ETA 750 A & B )
I-140 and I-485 Application forms, Receipts and Approval Notices.

Send it to below address( if 485 is filed under NSC)

U.S. Department of Homeland Security
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
P. O. Box 82521
Lincoln NE 68501-2521

Don't forget to put "Attn: FOIA Request" on the top of envelope.

Note: Go through G639 Instructions for any other information.

Thanks for the great information guys.
I am thinking of applying FOIA myself as the previous company lawyer wont give me copies of labor and 140.
1) can someone here share with me the sample form used along with any other documents needed to send to CIS.
-- No Sample letter required for Service Center. If you are sending FOIA request to DOL then look into this link for sample.
http://boards.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?t=136540&highlight=FOIA

2) I am in Wisconsin so under NSC. whats the address where I send the FOIA form
--U.S. Department of Homeland Security
United States Citizenship and Immigration Services
Nebraska Service Center
P. O. Box 82521
Lincoln NE 68501-2521
3) DO I also need to send the change of lawyer form with FOIA or just get all the GC related docs sent directly to me?
-- No need to send any change of lawyer for this purpose.
4) is there any reason to apply FOIA through a lawyer?
-- You should apply it yourself. Get it notorized so that NSC will know that you are the requestor of your own documents.
Thanks for helping out guys.

applied for FOIA to VSC

Dear Friends,
I just joined the forum.Please allow me to share my experience regarding FOIA.
I sent a request (FOIA) to VSC on 25th October, 2004. Got a confirmation on 4th November marking my request as a simple task.
Waiting for the docs now.
If I here anything new, I will respond back in this thread.
Thanks
shankar123

re:FOIA

Shankar,

What did u mention under Item 5? I currently hv my 140 in progress. i need the LC copies and whateber was sent for i140. i intende to use it to file 485 indivdually.

Ideas anybody??!!

Need help on FOIA...Please

Hi Friends, :)
Please help me the following questions regarding FOIA.

1) what number I need to fill at Alien Registation# column in item 6 of FOIA.
2) Do I get all LCA 750A/B papers if labor is Substitute.
3) Do I get I 140 approved notice if my 140 is approved.
4) Do I get all of the above information, If I am not apply for 485.
4) a) Can I fill Petition or Claim Receipt with I140 receipt no, If I am not applied I485.

Thanks in advance,
Chinni :eek:

Chinni123 said:
Hi Friends, :)
Please help me the following questions regarding FOIA.

1) what number I need to fill at Alien Registation# column in item 6 of FOIA.
2) Do I get all LCA 750A/B papers if labor is Substitute.
3) Do I get I 140 approved notice if my 140 is approved.
4) Do I get all of the above information, If I am not apply for 485.
4) a) Can I fill Petition or Claim Receipt with I140 receipt no, If I am not applied I485.

Thanks in advance,
Chinni :eek:
I submitted by FOIA just asking them to send me all papers associated with my pending 485 application. They responded by sending around 100 pages including
ETA 750 and 140 approval. They dont send I-797(notice of action) for approved 140, instead they send me 140 application form which my employer had filled earlier with an approval stamp on it. I guess this should be fine for our records.