A few points

GoodOlJack

Registered Users (C)
Don't get me wrong for pointing these out. I'm an asylee just like yourselves who's tired of waiting for I-485 adjustment, but...

The Senate Judicial Committee and the Subcomm on Immigration already held a hearing back in 2001 and they are well aware of our problems.

A petition will not make a lot of difference since most of us cant vote in US elections. Besides the asylee adjustment cap has lived thru both Republican and Democrat administrations.

Most politicians feel that we are in the US on humanitarian grounds, and the US is already giving us the same benefits (with the exception of sponsoring spouse and relatives) as LPRs, they don't want to openly tell us "So, what's the rush?" but that is exactly how they feel about this issue.

Guys, the asylee adjustment process is just like typical visit to your local immigation office: take a number, get in the line, and wait until your number is being called.

Sorry to point these out but it's the bitter truth.

I don't agree.

First of all, you get a number and wait. The people behind the counter should work and call your number. But they didn't. So many visas were wasted while so many people were waiting. If there was no legal action against INS they may still not process the cases as fast as today.

Secondly, no bill from Congress to change the law doesn't mean congressmen think it should remain the way it is. The US congress was never meant to be an efficient legislature. Unfortunately everything in the congress becomes politics.

Lastly, if we think this is unimportant, why in the hell should anybody else think this is important?

There have been a few bills in Congress with the motion to raise or eliminate the cap as their partial or whole purpose. Those bills haven't been defeated by a vote. They simply haven't had enough momentum to get a vote within the subcommittee. It's not opposition which makes them fail, rather it's lack of interest which makes them fail. There simply has not been enough voice on this issue. The answer to this is to lobby, lobby and lobby.

I agree with TimZ. I do realize of not putting all the hopes in this effort. Because I do not want to be disappointed if it does not work out as we want it to be. On the same note though, if we are not going to try then we will never know. I want to try as it will help me bring closure during the wait, when I can see that I did what I could.

Timz can you share more information on those bills that never failed to materialize because of lack of vote. It will be good to see the congressmen who are working on immigration commitees and then concenterate lobbying efforts on those.

I might agree with GoodOlJack, but ...
First we can create letter that anybody can use and just spam our politicians. Maybe it won't have any effect, but some of us will feel better. Letter is shorter than the actual file suit against INS. At least we tried. Petition? Why not, it's just the same letter on the internet and some people will sign it. There will be some companionate people who are not asylee that will see the letter and we might even get large number of petitioners (potentially). Everything is uncertain, but as the new agency is being built, maybe it is the right time to start lobbying for us; we might even do something because nobody knows what will happen with this Homeland Agency. It's just a plan, but implementation will be a mess.

Congress is the only people who can help us out. Forget the lawsuit. It will not do any good.

We have more than 100,000 asylees out there. If everyone sends a letter to the immigration folks in Congress, they might give this problem more attention.