A few concerns of applying US citizenship

surprise77

Registered Users (C)
1: I was told for the 4 years waiting for citizenship, you have to live continuously in US for at least one year which means you can’t go Mexico or Canada even for one day for at least one year in this waiting period. Is it true?

2: My Canadian GC has been approved too so I will go there landing soon. But I will return in US after 2 weeks. Will USCIS give me trouble when I apply US citizenship because of this?

3: My Canadian Immigration lawyer said the airlines between US and Canada are considered as domestic airline. So when I return from Canada to US, will the airline officer or USCIS ask me to show them my passport and US green card or I can just show them my US ID?

Thank you very much!

surprise77 said:
1: I was told for the 4 years waiting for citizenship, you have to live continuously in US for at least one year which means you can’t go Mexico or Canada even for one day for at least one year in this waiting period. Is it true?

2: My Canadian GC has been approved too so I will go there landing soon. But I will return in US after 2 weeks. Will USCIS give me trouble when I apply US citizenship because of this?

3: My Canadian Immigration lawyer said the airlines between US and Canada are considered as domestic airline. So when I return from Canada to US, will the airline officer or USCIS ask me to show them my passport and US green card or I can just show them my US ID?

Thank you very much!

Your lawyer is very stupid. First of all are you really serious when you mean you cant leave to mexico or canada for even a day?

You can't be out of the country for more than 6 months. YOu are allowed to leave the country for temporary purposes. Also U.S-Canada flights are anything but domestic flights. When you enter canada, you show proof of GC or U.S Citizenship or VISA to gain entry.

To gain entry ino the united states, U.S Immigration is done at the Canadian airport. You have to show a GC or a VISA or U.S Citizenship to be allowed in the country.

Ofcourse they keep track where you go. Nothing is domestic. What you are trying to do is become PERMANENT in both countries...which is hard to do

Oh, "US-Canada" flights are domestic? That is news to me.... ANY immigration offier is going to tell you: Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Guam is U.S. Canada is NOT! We used to invite them to join us (after independent war), they said "NO." They still want to honor the Queen in U.K. :rolleyes:

Thank you all. But do I need just bring GC to Canada or I still need bring RTD or NP? When I return to US, do I just need show GC, not RTD or NP?

wantmygcnow said:
You can't be out of the country for more than 6 months. YOu are allowed to leave the country for temporary purposes. Also U.S-Canada flights are anything but domestic flights. When you enter canada, you show proof of GC or U.S Citizenship or VISA to gain entry.

I thought PR can be out of the country for no more than a year in order not to lose a status. At least that is what posted on USCIS web site. How correct is it?

Ayyubov and Wantmygcnow

Actually, what Want told you and what you wrote is both correct. Being out for more than a year breaks the "Continuous Residency" and your clock for citizenship starts all over again but you don't lose your PR status. If you stay outside of the US for more than a year, that means you have abandoned you GC and you lose you PR status.

Punjabi_Munda said:
Actually, what Want told you and what you wrote is both correct. Being out for more than a year breaks the "Continuous Residency" and your clock for citizenship starts all over again but you don't lose your PR status. If you stay outside of the US for more than a year, that means you have abandoned you GC and you lose you PR status.

Punjabi_Munda, what if you spend most of the year outside the U.S., and let's say you come back to the U.S. once or twice a year, would that break the continous residencey?

Gino

Frequent trips

People used to get away with frequent trips in the post 9/11 era. Now USCIS pays a great deal of attention to these trips detail. Small trips don't hurt provided you maintain strong ties with US like your leases, bank accounts, credit cards and so on and so forth. All these trips have to be temporary in nature. GC give you the status of "Permanent Resident" and it is called "Permanent" for a reason. Meaning, U.S, should be the country where you reside permanently. We are free to go wherever we'd like but we should all avoid to trick USCIS. I have seen lot of people who want to go back to their country after they get their GC so they can stay with their loved ones and want to keep their GC as well. Well, it's hard to have your cake and eat it too :)

yeah. PM is rite. I guess that's why people tend to wait until they get their citizenship then go back to their country. but I've heard that most country don't accept DUAL citizenship anymore :(

Punjabi_Munda said:

I don't get it. If person travels outside of US for let's say 10 months and then com back for a week and repeat it (another 10 months aoutz). Will that create any problems? As far as I understand PR can travel outside of US for a period no more than one year.

ayyubov said:
I don't get it. If person travels outside of US for let's say 10 months and then com back for a week and repeat it (another 10 months aoutz). Will that create any problems? As far as I understand PR can travel outside of US for a period no more than one year.

PR can travel outside the country for more than a year but needs a Rentry Permit to have no problems in entering.

Your naturalization clock resets once you enter after 10 months. Thats why you can file an application to preserve naturalization.

wantmygcnow said:
PR can travel outside the country for more than a year but needs a Rentry Permit to have no problems in entering.

Your naturalization clock resets once you enter after 10 months. Thats why you can file an application to preserve naturalization.

Ok, thanks. Now I got it. :)