a couple of questions

captainkit

Registered Users (C)
Hi all, two questions for my immigrationportal angels:

Question one - I got an email from USCIS on July 2nd saying my I-131 approval letter had been mailed. It's now June 10, and it still hasn't appeared in my mailbox - is this normal? I remember my last notice arrived about 5 days after it was 'mailed' which seemed weird (regular mail usually takes 2-3 days where we live) but this really seems like too long. I know the holiday was in there but that's only one day...

Question two - because I changed my name on marriage I need a new Australian passport. The process takes about 3 weeks, and I have to hand over my current passport, marriage certificate and birth certificate - originals, not copies. This will leave me without any "official-looking" ID in the interim... I do have an Australian driver's license, but it's in my maiden name. What happens if I'm called for my GC interview or something else immigration-related in the next month? Will I have to postpone it until I have my new passport and my birth and marriage certificates back and can prove who I am?

Question three... how on earth am I going to buy alcohol? I'm a young-looking 23 and my passport has been my "ID" because apparently my Aussie driver's license doesn't look "real" enough. I'm an Australian, I need wine to live :p Advice appreciated...

I can't get a state ID without a birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, or some other kind of original ID!

I can't get a state ID without a birth certificate, passport, marriage certificate, or some other kind of original ID!

I think the point was why don't you go and get a state ID now with your passport, birth certificate, marraige certificate or whatever you have, then after that send your passport off to get it changed.

I need the passport ASAP. I plan to travel soon now that I have my I-131 approved, plus I know I'll need it when I'm called for my GC interview. The passport is the #1 priority and can't be put off... it's just going to be mighty inconvenient not having any ID for a month. As a non-citizen I find people want to see serious ID for even the smallest things.

Plus, I just rang the California DMV (my favorite people!) and they said I'd need an SSN to get any kind of ID card - I don't have an SSN yet. There is (allegedly) a way to get an ID by showing "legal presence" documents, but it takes at least 2-3 months to process. And they seem to get a little confused. I collected massive amounts of legal presence paperwork, had it accepted at my DMV, took my driver's test, passed, and waited three months to get my DL about a year ago only to be rejected by Sacramento... because I didn't have an SSN!

When I rang (repeatedly) to ask what was going on, I was told "we don't really like when people don't have a social," and "it's just easier for us when you've got a social." They all agreed that according to their own rules I was entitled to my license because I'd proved my legal presence but "we don't encourage it, it just takes up more time." What could I do to get my license? "Come back when you've got a social." After a dozen phone calls and a half-dozen letters with no one willing to help in any way, I just gave up on it. I've heard the same thing from a few others who tried to get ID through showing legal presence. They're really not enthusiastic about helping people without socials.

I guess I'll be trying my luck without ID for a month and hope it's not needed for anything urgent...

So your purpose is to buy alcohol?:confused:

If so, try your luck with whatever id you have now. If that fails, then ask a friend to buy it for you.:rolleyes:

In your signature it shows you filed an I-764. Did you mean I-765, the employment authorization document? Once it is approved, you'll get a card which can be used to get a Social Security Number, and to do almost anything else in the US where you have to prove your age or identity.

Question two - because I changed my name on marriage I need a new Australian passport. The process takes about 3 weeks, and I have to hand over my current passport, marriage certificate and birth certificate - originals, not copies. This will leave me without any "official-looking" ID in the interim... I do have an Australian driver's license, but it's in my maiden name. What happens if I'm called for my GC interview or something else immigration-related in the next month?
Why didn't you think of those things before changing your name? Many married women who are immigrating will postpone their name change until after completing the process. You will have to update USCIS with your name change, and that could delay your green card process in more ways than one.

Is your name change legally completed yet? Name change is not automatic if you marry in the US. If it's not completed yet, think about whether you want to postpone it until after obtaining your green card.

Last edited by a moderator:
The alcohol thing was a joke! I guess the Aussie reputation really is that bad ;)

I did mean I-765. I know I'll be getting that soon and can then get my social - I guess I just assumed that the EAD wouldn't be enough ID on its own to get anything done. I just got my AP docs, and they look like a 13-year-old made them. I'd never try to use them as stand-alone ID. But that's great if I can apply for my social with just the EAD and nothing else.

My name change is complete - it's now registered in my home country and I have a new birth certificate. I already filled out all my immigration paperwork in my new name, so I don't have to change anything with them, I just need to keep up with them and get my new passport ready for when they want to see it or stamp it!

We had timing issues because our first wedding (the official one) in March was top-secret... only about four people know it happened. We had a huge, all-out wedding in June in LA with dozens of my Aussie family in attendance, and that was the "real" wedding. My parents gave us their blessing to marry early (for a host of practical reasons, like getting insurance, some paperwork stuff with our house, and yes getting a jump on immigration) but mum asked not to be told if we did, because she always wants to think of the beautiful June wedding as the real deal. Fine by us - the first one was signing some papers in the courthouse, the June wedding really was the happiest day of my life!

Of course, the secrecy meant I couldn't make my name change official until recently because my registered address in Australia is my parent's house, and it would kind of give the game away if the papers turned up at their place a couple of months "early." Births Deaths & Marriages refused to send the papers straight to the USA or to a friend's house. In the meantime, my immigration case has been moving faster than I expected (touch wood) so I've ended up in a bit of a crunch trying to get the passport.

Someone has PM'ed me and said I may be able to plead special circumstances and ask for an in-person interview with the consulate so they can sight my documents and I won't have to surrender them, which would be wonderful... I'll be calling them Monday. The people at the LA consulate are gorgeous and beyond helpful, so I'm feeling optimistic.

Now I'm off to get rollin' drunk!!! You call that a knife?

But that's great if I can apply for my social with just the EAD and nothing else.
The EAD is not a piece of paper like the AP, it is a card with "US Department of Homeland Security" across the top. You can use it to buy alcohol, take a domestic flight, apply for a driver's license (although some DMV's may ask for additional papers), work for a company, apply for an SSN, or open a bank account.

Occasionally you will run into somebody who doesn't recognize it; you just have to be assertive and firmly state "This is a valid ID issued by the Department of Homeland Security! Why will you not accept this Federal Government ID?"